Wellington in Nov

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
cleepa
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Wellington in Nov

Post by cleepa » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:23 pm

Hey all,

have any of you kited Wellington in New Zealand? I'll be there all of November for work and will be taking my kites. I'm happy on my 9m if it's 20+ mph. I'd like to avoid bringing a 12 if that's realistic.

Thanks for any tips...

Ian

le noun
Old School
Old School

Re: Wellington in Nov

Post by le noun » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:06 pm

I've heard they have really good beef recipe. 8)
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Re: Wellington in Nov

Post by friggin old guy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:02 pm

I haven't kited there, but when I flew in on biz the ocean was a frothing mass and the little commuter plane was being bucked all over the place. If that kind of thing bothered me I would have been freaking out, it was so bad. One of the Kiwi guys I was with laughed and said, "Yeah, you should see what it's like when it's windy".....typical Kiwi understatement.

It's got a reputation for being windier than crap, Oct/Nov windiest months so I'm betting you won't need that 12.....

Just so you know, when they say something is good, they're saying "Sweet as.......", short for "sweet as pie", not "sweet ass......" Some people get mixed up on that and it can be embarrassing. And when they talk about decks........their e sounds like i so that can be embarrassing too.

If you pretend to be surprised that they produce good wine there, it is a guaranteed chain-yanker. It's nice to turn the tables on the kiwis sometimes........good fun. Great place and nice people.