cutting a bar to make it shorter?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
sflinux
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sflinux » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:32 am

Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone on here has any experience with shortening a commercial bar? Any tips?
http://www.thekiteboarder.com/2009/12/d ... ntrol-bar/
I have a small kite that imo needs a smaller bar then what it came with. The bar has "plastic " bar ends with rivets of which I have no experience with. From what I understand, I can use a drill bit to remove the old rivets. Then I can use a hacksaw to shorten both ends of the bar. Then I need to drill new holes and install new rivets to hold the bar ends securely. Do I need a tool to install the rivets?
Or does anyone have a small bar they don't need? I'm looking for something like 16"(40 cm) or smaller. The smallest bar I have now is 17" (45 cm).
Thanks.

kitecrazy
Regular
Regular

Re: cutting a bar to make it shorter?

Post by kitecrazy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:10 am

You'll need a Pop Rivet gun like this one. I have one and have used it to repair bar ends. Be sure to use aluminum or SST rivets, not steel.

http://www.sears.com/tekton-rivet-gun-w ... 2092206103

What kind of bar is it? Does it have bar ends that allow you to move the attachment point inward without removing the bar ends and cutting the bar? Similar to the Switch bar, North Bar and Epic bar.
If your bar is aluminum, it's an easy cut. If the bar is glass/carbon, you need to be careful when you cut it and drill new holes. If you use a hack saw, you may cause damage to the fiber/matrix of the composite structure. Better to use a disc grinder to cut it shorter.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:41 pm

If you are near Santa Cruz I have all the tools (and skills) to do it or help you with it. It's actually very easy if you have the right setup.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Re: cutting a bar to make it shorter?

Post by Greg » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:11 am

I've got a 10" pulley bar you can have... works great on a six or smaller.. NO DE-POWER, NO SAFETY, NO TRIM LOOP RELEASE, comes with 15m Q lines,... just sign the release form and FORGET we ever meet-
No ::PP please,
LoudMouthGreg