Don't Kite Stagnant! Keep the Progression Going!

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Aloha
Old School
Old School
Re: Don't Kite Stagnant! Keep the Progression Going!

Post by Aloha » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:03 pm

This thread is awesome -- Remember it from last year and now I wish I had posted up then

2010 I was riding strapped and blowing 75% of my jibes. 2011 strapless 100% of the time no matter how big and added a ton of backhand to my rights. Raceboard width grew by about 25cm and my fins by even 5cm more than that.

Kiting goals for 2012 are to experience some new strapless sessions whereever in the world I can escape to and do the full race season March - Oct with as many events as I can fit in. Consistently nailing the duck tack would be great too

It will be great to see what success 2012 will bring us all - I know everybody will have an awesome year... Happy New Year! 8)

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:36 pm

True dat, Ramsey, it WAS a bad year, for wind AND waves around here.

I thought I hadn't made much progress in 2011 until last month when I headed to Maui and hit two different expert-only spots during a XXL swell with a group of locals who told me that "no one kites strapless in Maui in these conditions". I never put my straps on, although if I had had a leash on at one spot it would have saved my board from going up on the rocks.

And yeah, some people do kite strapless in Maui -- on that day, let's see...Kai Lenny, Jesse Richman, Sky Solbach...and some organic farmer tourist dude from Norcal :mrgreen:
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

nbon
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by nbon » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:24 am

Great post. Interesting to see the varying levels of ability.

First season for me after many years windsurfing

April:
- waterboarded and tea bagged

November
- making 99% of jibes
- jumps and landing right side up 50% of the time
- occasional toeside riding

Goals
- backroll
- jumping transitions
- directional board

Conclusion: learning curve steeper and faster than windsurfing

N

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:45 pm

1st season for me and got boosting and my backroll (hooked) pretty much dialed in thanks to ramsey!
I hope to spend more time with him in the water in 2012 and I'm super motivated to start wake-style tricks unhooked with him! :P

And needless to say I'm gonna try as hard as I can since we're not supposed to survive passed december 21st! :mrgreen:
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:44 pm

And yeah, some people do kite strapless in Maui -- on that day, let's see...Kai Lenny, Jesse Richman, Sky Solbach...and some organic farmer tourist dude from Norcal

Attaboy Paul. If I had been there, I totally would have been on the beach being like "oh yeah. I know that guy."

and then I would have found some flatwater to go kiting on instead.

that said, I realized that overhead waves DO have an appeal for me. I landed my first Frontside 5 in Cape Verde in pretty big swell. Freestyle in waves is fun! Strapless surfboards in the waves is soooo last year.

Next year, land some 5s at 3rd and it's probably time to graduate to a blindjudge3. a backmobe would be cool too.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:26 pm

When you use waves for ramps you don't have to take the fins off your board...

My goal for 2012 is to figure out what the hell Adam and Ramsey are talking about when they are talking about visually impaired judges and such :roll:
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

Rob
Regular
Regular

Post by Rob » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:47 pm

I've shortened the time it takes to rig and de-rig by 20% last year.
Also to self land my kite in Crissy parking lot in 30 mph winds. : )

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:04 am

Ok, 2012 Summer kiting season is nearly in the books so I thought I'd bring this thread up again to see if I've progressed at all this year....

So as far as new stuff, I've finally got those flat 3's about 20-50% depending on the session, and I did land one OHH-blind.

In the surf, my SUPing skills have definitely increased for what its worth...."rode" an overhead wave unhooked, and got the tacks pretty well dialed in both directions.

So, still a little progression for me. What have you guys got?????

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:23 am

well, I had two goals this year:
go under the GG bridge.
start to unhook.

Did both, definitely more successful with the first one, but at least for the second, it prepared me for next season where I'm planning on spending a LOT more time at the lower launch at 3rd.

As far as the ocean goes, did so much training at OB this season that the day I went to waddell on over-head surf I had no problem or whatsoever to get out of the surf. That felt pretty good. :::)

Rided a bunch of new spots (Crissy, Stinson, Flying tiger, Pismo, Marina bay, HMB harbor,...) and met a bunch of really good people.

So overall, 2012 was a success, even if I wish I spent more time on tricks and less in the ocean.
So beware 2013, I'm gonna pass that bar!
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:13 am

I forgot about this thread - but it is a great one

Tacking came through this season - but not the ducking part. And definitely not on a raceboard but only the surfboard. I'll figure out a few goals come spring time when next season rolls in. Until then everybody enjoy the warm water of the Caribbean and be safe

Catch ya out there