TAM airline w/directional board

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
dnowek
Joey
Joey
TAM airline w/directional board

Post by dnowek » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:03 am

Hi everyone, I'm flying with TAM from NY to Rio and want to take my 5'6" directional board. Will I get slammed with excess/oversized luggage fee? Keeping the weight to under 23kg. My golf bag will not fit my directional board. Or should I just forget about it and try to rent locally (Icaraizinho, Jeri, Barra Grande)? Thanks for letting me know.

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: TAM airline w/directional board

Post by etxxz » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:20 am

oh you will. You'll probably pay regular luggage fee for the golf bag. An additional luggage fee for the other bag with clothes and THEN for a surfboard - which i can't find how much they charge, but likely $100-200 EACH WAY.

When i travel like this i just take ONE TT and stuff it along all my kites/gear in a golf bag. Combine my clothes and stuff into wife's luggage (if i bring her :p ) and that's it. Can't be too picky. if you really need a directional then you can surely rent a directional/surf board there for cheaper than bringing your own. Idk i've never traveled with a surfboard. Have never had problems renting one in the other end.

Rio AirStyle bra
http://vimeo.com/44102311

dnowek
Joey
Joey

Re: TAM airline w/directional board

Post by dnowek » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:51 pm

I'm taking just one checked bag (either the golf bag or a surf-like bag). Will keep it down to under 23kg. It seems like the golf bag maybe the way to go. Thanks for getting back with me on this.