Racetrack/Albany Beach Restoration project Update

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
stompdit
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by stompdit » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:59 pm

A few months ago the East Bay Regional Park District released a draft Environmental Impact Report (EIR) for the Albany Beach Habitat Restoration and Public Access Project. Within this lengthy document is detailed description of the proposed project starting on page 42.

Here is the full Environmental Impact Report(pdf)

Overall I think the plan looks quite nice. It adds restrooms, cleans out the jagged cement fractures and rocks on the south side of the bulb, adds benches and grass, and expands the beach and dunes.

The document doesn't mention a kite specific launch area, however, it does include a non-motorized watercraft staging area with water access(see image above). Kiteboarders lumped in with windsurfers were the only recorded non-motorized watercraft users.

ESTIMATED CURRENT DAILY USERS AT PROJECT SITE (pg 40)
Type of User Average Daily Users
Walker/Hiker (without dog) 170
Walker/Hiker (with dog) 262
Bicyclist 232
Kitesurfer or Windsurfer 10
Adult with Child or Children Under 5 19
Person with Wheelchair or Walker 4
Scavenger or Homeless Person 39
Other Non-motorized Watercraft User 0
TOTAL 735

It doesn't specify what kind of surface this staging area will be, but "An area would be graded and surfaced for staging non-motorized watercraft, installation of a bench, and access to the beach."(pg53)

Referencing the scale on the first image the staging area looks big enough and at the right angle for launching and landing. However, it is in close proximity of the walking trail and directly upwind of a parking lot, bathroom, and benches.

The only proper access to the park will be from Buchanan Street and the parking lot will consist of 20 parking spots, only 10 of which will be available to us and everyone else.

- "Five spaces designated for drop-off of non-motorized watercraft" (WHY?)
- "Five ADA accessible spaces (including one van accessible)"
- "Ten unrestricted spaces"

If we can still access from Gilman st. and park outside the park on the racetrack property, I don't see an issue, but otherwise, that's not much parking.

EBRPD will be taking comments on the draft EIR till 5pm November 5, 2012. If you want to submit a comment, send to cbarton@ebparks.org

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Re: Racetrack/Albany Beach Restoration project Update

Post by adamrod » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:27 pm

hmm. no chance we can convince them to build a rock levee out in the middle to create some epic butter?
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

dealbst
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dealbst » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:48 pm

WOW! That's killer! I want to read more about this project! We used to burn big chunck of driftwood there as teenagers. I LOVE this spot. Any improvements to the area have been long time coming...

Thanks for the post and keep us informed on where we will be pumping up. MJ0_
MJ0_ MJ0_

%$ out.

-Steve XZSD

nick_80044
Regular
Regular

Post by nick_80044 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:07 pm

stompdit wrote:The only proper access to the park will be from Buchanan Street and the parking lot will consist of 20 parking spots, only 10 of which will be available to us and everyone else.

- "Five spaces designated for drop-off of non-motorized watercraft" (WHY?)
- "Five ADA accessible spaces (including one van accessible)"
- "Ten unrestricted spaces"

If we can still access from Gilman st. and park outside the park on the racetrack property, I don't see an issue, but otherwise, that's not much parking.
Nice work--but I don't quite get the "20 spaces, but only 10 are available to us or anyone else" comment. 20 would not be great, and 10 would be less than we currently have at Point Emery and anyone who rides there knows that on a good day, the parking lot there is a total clusterf*ck. 735 daily users but only 10 parking spaces? Who did the math on that one?

Having to enter through Gillman is not great since, prior to 3:30 pm, you have to pay the parking fee (varies, could be as high as $8) and this is before you have a chance to assess conditions on the beach.
Last edited by nick_80044 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

stompdit
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by stompdit » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:00 pm

I'm not involved with this project. I just posted public information about the proposed plan that I though was relevant to us that kite there so we can stay informed and speak up if we have any issues.

So, Do that...
stompdit wrote:EBRPD will be taking comments on the draft EIR till 5pm November 5, 2012. If you want to submit a comment, send to cbarton@ebparks.org[/b]
From what I read, I believe the overflow parking is supposed to go onto the sides of Buchanan street, where a lot of the bulb traffic currently parks. I assume that's the reason for the 5 non-motorized watercraft drop off parking spots. Personally, I don't think the parking situation looks great, that's why I mentioned it. But if we can have the same access as we do now from Gilman street, I'm ok with it.

nick_80044
Regular
Regular

Post by nick_80044 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:02 am

stompdit wrote:I'm not involved with this project. I just posted public information about the proposed plan that I though was relevant to us that kite there so we can stay informed and speak up if we have any issues.
I wasn't knocking you in any way, just commenting on the info. Thanks for providing it!

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:03 am

I believe the parking area was purchased, rather forcefully, from the RaceTrack...
Personally, I'm happy we've even allowed access- MJ0_ MJ0_ 10 users, demanding more FREE PARKING arn't going to get shit. Hell we're out numbered 4 to 1 by the homeless....

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:28 am

Greg wrote:Hell we're out numbered 4 to 1 by the homeless....
Bwaaaaaahaaaaaaahaaaaa.

Kinda puts it in perspective!

amlerner
Contributor
Contributor

Post by amlerner » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:58 am

Access from Buchanan street would be awesome. When 80 is backed up I park at the Buchanan loop and walk in - much faster than enduring the traffic.

“Removal of creosote-treated wood and inorganic debris within dune area” would be very nice. I once grabbed a wayward kite that was dragging a beginner toward a huge log - a little more sand and less logs couldn't hurt (or would hurt less).

I’m sure glad they won’t be hurting the burrowing owl habitat…they’re so tiny.

dealbst
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dealbst » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:37 pm

Burn 'em! Lo)%