Brazil kiteboarding trip and Ozone Travel

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
dnowek
Joey
Joey
Brazil kiteboarding trip and Ozone Travel

Post by dnowek » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:19 am

Hi everyone,
Getting ready to go on a 3-week kiteboarding/leasure trip to Brazil (Icaraizinho, Jeri, Barra Grande, and so on) and asking for comments from folks who used Karen Beber and Ozone Travel for similar vacations. If you could share your experince and overall impressions (positive or otherwise) of the services and logistics they provided it would be very much appreciated. No PIMPING, please. Only an honest take from folks who actually used their services. You can PM me if you prefere. Thanks!
Derek Nowek

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Re: Brazil kiteboarding trip and Ozone Travel

Post by adamrod » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:43 am

I've been to Brazil many times. Honestly, it's such a well worn path for kiteboarders, that it's relatively trivial to get to all the places you listed without anyone helping you out with logistics.

That said, we did talk with the folks at Ozone travel a while back, and they were really helpful. We didn't end up going with them however...and after doing the trip (without any guidance) realized it's not necessary. That said, if you have the funds, and want a truly worry free trip, I bet it'd be awesome.

make sure you have a 7m or smaller....or you're gonna have a bad time.

keep in mind that just because you're paying extra for something, doesn't mean it's a better deal. perfect example is the road to Jeri. you can pay $400 for a 4x4, which will get you there but it will be bumpy and might not have AC. Or you can pay $35 for a luxury coach bus that has full AC and recline...

on the other hand, having a travel company (like ozone) would be helpful in making sure you don't get ripped off, as there are lots of local opportunists out there :-)
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

dnowek
Joey
Joey

Post by dnowek » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:19 am

Thank you for the very informative and quick follow up, Adam. Much appreciated. It’s my first trip to Brazil, and I want to extend it beyond kiteboarding and make it as painless and worry free as possible. Going with Ozone seems like the way to do it at least this time around. Time will tell.

Bringing my 7m and 9m kites plus a twin tip. Would like to take my directional board but am worried about getting slammed with airline fees. Thanks again.

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:20 am

it's relatively easy to rent surfboards there. we did a 2 week trip, bought surfboards at the start, sold them at the end. worked out well.

you'll have fun. when i was in barra grande, it was pretty remote. the best lagoon riding in all of brazil though...just tough to get to.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets