Please help stop seismic testing off Ca Coast: update 9/26

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin
Re: Please help stop seismic testing off Ca Coast: So Cal ne

Post by WindMuch » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:06 am

Looks like there's a meeting tomorrow (Mon, 9/24) in Sacramento at 10:00am with Fish & Game. It'd be a push for my schedule, but I could go if someone wants to ride up together. PM me or email me at kirk@lansharks.net if you're interested.

Here's their agenda:

Meeting of September 24, 2012 (Monday) 10:00 a.m. 2
Sonke Mastrup, Executive Director
1416 Ninth Street, Room 1320 Sacramento, CA 95814 (916) 653-4899

http://www.fgc.ca.gov
State of California, Resources Building First Floor Auditorium1 1416 Ninth Street Sacramento
AGENDA3 ALL MEETINGS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
1. PUBLIC FORUM– Any member of the public may address the Commission regarding the implementation of its policies or any other matter within the jurisdiction of the Commission. The issue to be discussed should not be related to any item on the current agenda. As a general rule, action cannot be taken on issues not listed on the agenda. At the discretion of the Commission, staff may be requested to follow up on such items. Submittal of written comments is encouraged to ensure that all comments will be included in the record before the Commission. Please be prepared to summarize your comments to the time allocated by the President.
2. RECEIPT AND DISCUSSION OF INFORMATION ON PACIFIC GAS AND ELECTRIC COMPANY’S PROPOSED CENTRAL COAST SEISMIC IMAGING PROJECT.

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by etxxz » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:17 pm

IIRC 200db is enough to kill a human being. these are 20x 250db canons shooting every 20 seconds for 45 days. Hello. What they plan to annihilate every living thing on the water for that time - signed.

apparently this has been going on for a long time in many places and in many forms. some sonar are power enough to cause similar damage.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:53 am

it's MIND BLOWING to think they might actually get permits.... ( because HUMAN LIFE is 'threatened') AND- if this is considered a threat to national security they can proceed without Ca. permits.

Wouldn't it be something if they triggered the very earthquake they so fear-

LLPP LLPP LLPP STOP DESTRUCTIVE TESTING!!! MJ0_ MJ0_ MJ0_ MJ0_ MJ0_
Last edited by Greg on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:48 am

signed. JJ))
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:08 pm

here's a link to a study on marine animal effects:

http://www.pge.com/includes/docs/pdfs/s ... urveys.pdf

I don't want dead marine animals anymore than anyone else, but I'd also prefer if the nuclear reactor sitting on the coast doesn't melt down (like Fukushima) during an earthquake and spread radioactive waste into the ocean. (which is supposedly why they are doing this testing)

I'm no nuclear engineer, and i'm also no marine biologist. soo, i have no idea which is more important.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:56 pm

adamrod wrote:here's a link to a study on marine animal effects:

http://www.pge.com/includes/docs/pdfs/s ... urveys.pdf

I don't want dead marine animals anymore than anyone else, but I'd also prefer if the nuclear reactor sitting on the coast doesn't melt down (like Fukushima) during an earthquake and spread radioactive waste into the ocean. (which is supposedly why they are doing this testing)

I'm no nuclear engineer, and i'm also no marine biologist. soo, i have no idea which is more important
My point is what's ACTUALLY LIVING is WAY MORE IMPORTANT then what's "predicted".
HUMANS made this mess, Now- WE have to clean it up WITHOUT FURTHER DESTRUCTION to Mother Earth. If the plant is a major threat, SHUT IT DOWN, dont make it even worse.....

Ronin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ronin » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:07 am

SHUT THAT SHIT DOWN.

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:27 am

From the first sentence in the summary of that report it doesn't look like this has anything to do with earthquakes. Looks like they are using sonar to find oil and gas deposits in the ocean.

its a shame its cheaper to go through this process than just to build some solar arrays. But I guess solar cells have an environmental impact as well and probably have to go through this entire process.

marinaTKB
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by marinaTKB » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:30 am

40,000 emails, broken fax machine, website crashes -- your voice was heard! California Fish & Game directs staff to attend the upcoming California Coastal Commission meeting on October 10th in Oceanside, to make sure everyone in the state knows they will not be tolerating any destructive activity in our Marine Protected Areas off the coast, such as the newly minted Point Buchon State Marine Reserv
e. Feel free to e mail a 'thank you for being giants' to the Fish & Game Commissioners at: fgc@fgc.ca.gov

Photo: Chumash Tribal Administrator Fred Collins by Dan Bacher speaks to the Fish & Game Commission yesterday in Sacramento.

We need letters to the California Coastal Commission before their meeting Oct10 to take action against seismic testing: Snail Mail or FAX your concerns to the California Coastal Commission at:

California Coastal Commission
Central Coast District Office
Dan Carl, Deputy Director
725 Front Street, Suite 300
Santa Cruz, CA 95060-4508
(831) 427-4863, FAX (831) 427-4877

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Re: Please help stop seismic testing off Ca Coast: update 9/

Post by WindMuch » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:02 am

More (good) news about the meeting in Sacramento on Sept 24th: