Me and my OB...

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School
Me and my OB...

Post by OliverG » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:21 pm

I want my OB thread too... what should I say?

It's a bitch of a place to kite sometimes. But depending on how you ride, it can make you tired, sore and spent like few other spots. You can cruise around and if you've got skills, not get smashed and make your way out and around and catch some waves. Ive been there on days where literally no one could get out, not very far anyway, and the sets coming in on the outside were untouchable. It was like the "You can't get there from here" saying. At Scott or Waddell, yes, some could probably access sets like that, but to do so at OB would frankly be stupid because there's just too much peril in between the shore and the monsters on the outside. Nothing smooth or predictable that you could count on and getting out past the 2x and 3x warbly sets on the "inside" to see what was coming beyond that would make you turn around for shore. I mean from the parking lot, you could see this stuff coming in from far away and to see it from there and know they were swelling up and breaking with tons of whitewater way out beyond where anyone even normally rides, you just could figure it was huge.

On Wednesday it was small and mellow but I saw a couple old school friends masterfully ride in and work a couple 1 1/2 - 2x overhead sets (a few came through every four or five minutes) in a way I couldn't begin to match, and they did it with style. Everyone is doing it strapless now and I totally respect and admire the skill it takes to do so, especially in a challenging spot like OB. Just think about what it takes on a medium to big day!

Riding a twin tip with authority there is totally different, it's kiting with a heightened 'edge' and energy that I don't think is the same on a surfboard. You ride very aggressively, every quickly breaking swell coming toward you is a threat, every almost breaking swell is a ramp to send it big off of and watch it break below you from high above and come in landing on the face of that breaking wave, hoping and praying you stuck the landing and are blasting in with the whitewater breaking and smashing two feet behind you. If you didn't land it, pray you keep your kite in the air and flying, no matter how many times you get spun around and pounded because while we have a leash (not always best practice in surf) , the real leash in heavy surf is your kite and keeping it up and flying. Big freestyle in the surf can also be awesome to maneuver through traffic - need to get out of the way fast or yield to someone coming in at you on a wave, perfect, throw a big trick and cover ground (water) fast and everyone's happy. Coming in on the backside of big waves is rad too, time it right, come in on the backside, send a big loop or combo trick over it, watch the beauty of it breaking in all it chaos below you and know no one will be in your land zone in the butter in front because who kites into a breaking wave? Then after you've scared, or at least worried, yourself with all the intense energy outside, finish up on the shallow inside with speed runs, carving and only the big tricks you know you'll land (because you're landing in a foot or less of water), trudge/limp in to land, pack up, change, get in your now ocean spray film covered car/truck, turn on the heater and go home. Stopping by 7-Eleven on Judah for a tall boy is optional.

I have a video from years ago I'll try to post this weekend of a pretty big November day Chip and I went out to ride and a lot of the old school BAK crew showed up too. A user of this forum who rides waves exclusively nowadays and is very good at it showed up to kite OB for the first time and, well, had some issues, but it's not on the vid...some others went out, some watched, good times though, I'll get it posted...

Looking forward to some Fall days there...It can be rad, but I do not think everyone should ride there. I don't mind if you do, but know your limits.

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Re: Me and my OB...

Post by Aloha » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:06 pm

Good show old boy - very well written Ollie

The volume of response to my one little post has been flattering at the very least

Look forward to catching you out there

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:05 am

Just don't ask me for a launch Phil. I don't deal with locals.
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

rvv
Regular
Regular

Post by rvv » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:44 pm

Ollie,
You are an artist with the kite and with your words! Respect from a fellow twipper!
Royce V
KGBswag

tomerp
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Me and my OB...

Post by tomerp » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:14 pm

Ocean bitch ;)

le noun
Old School
Old School