Saturday OB Downwinder

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School
Re: Saturday OB Downwinder

Post by OliverG » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:06 pm

Aloha wrote:
paulbuck wrote:Yeah, find somewhere else to post about Bay Area kiteboarding. Oh wait....
Paul it might make even more sense to call it OBK and we can just have every thread be about OB and hyping OB and the conditions today or this weekend at OB and moving to OB and demo days at OB and carpools to OB and putting together downwinders at OB and I don't even ride at OB but the conditions look great today so hey you should go check out OB

NCK you are right about that, but as mentioned it's just something to keep in mind (image FBO Kyle ^^ )
1.png
You know, we're all in this together. Just keep that in mind. You've talked plenty about other spots on this forum that you've gone to but are by no means a local, whatever that means. Your attitude is straying a bit from the purpose of this forum. Not happy with OB posts? Too bad, this is kiting and this is the Internet. Nobody got uptight when you were posting about other spots earlier in the year, none of which you're a "local" at...See you on the water at "your" spot...

sobi 41
Joey
Joey

Post by sobi 41 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:18 pm

You are all aliens

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:48 pm

That's probably true. But The only thing people should really be concerned about is if someone's qualified and safe to ride a spot. If so, welcome them and be cool. No one owns the beach or the wind.

And Aloha, you've been posting about what you ironically call "BroB" all year...

When you go to a launch that's not your regular spot, or travel anywhere to kite, you are then the very kiter that you wish to exclude. So how does that work? Just saying'...

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:36 pm

I'M LOCAL ONLY,
in my,.. back yard.

it's the rest of the world that makes me LOCO! :D

Have FUN!!! (gave me the giggles)
L.M.G.
Last edited by Greg on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:51 pm

You are all aliens
Years ago when I moved to the Bay Area, I was watching some guys surfing Fort Point. I was already impressed with the "different" appearance of some of the local surfers.......some of them dressed more like motorcycle gang types....leather jackets and such.......and I also noticed how strong the current was ebbing and made a comment to one of the guys.

He laughed this really strange laugh and said, "Yeah, when the aliens come, they get sucked out to sea!" and kept laughing in a really really weird way. Hmmm......I thought.......this place IS different.......and so it is.

But I haven't picked up bad vibes when surfing OB over the years, and I hope it stays that way.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:04 pm

friggin old guy wrote:
You are all aliens
Years ago when I moved to the Bay Area, I was watching some guys surfing Fort Point. I was already impressed with the "different" appearance of some of the local surfers.......some of them dressed more like motorcycle gang types....leather jackets and such.......and I also noticed how strong the current was ebbing and made a comment to one of the guys.

He laughed this really strange laugh and said, "Yeah, when the aliens come, they get sucked out to sea!" and kept laughing in a really really weird way. Hmmm......I thought.......this place IS different.......and so it is.

But I haven't picked up bad vibes when surfing OB over the years, and I hope it stays that way.
)))
Ft Point can get a little tricky, I got drained and slaughtered on the take-off boil (went to dry rock) one day... Whamo!

buckidge
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by buckidge » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:10 pm

Sooo.... no one wants to do a downwinder? Bummer. Could be fun.

I actually understand what Aloha was saying. OB typically stays under the radar on this forum (for the most part) and lately there has been a lot of talk of "can/shouId I go to OB, etc." lately. But the last few days of stellar conditions has led to this discussion. That's the way it goes. And accordingly, it was actually crowded out there today by OB standards, so stay away tomorrow everyone!
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are built for"

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:18 pm

Everyone just go to OB. Don't ride Front Yards. I'm a Front Yards local and don't want anyone I don't know riding here. Don't even talk about Front Yards.

:::) :::)

(See whatcha started Kirk :::) )

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:32 am

Ollie, Phil is a good cat.
I can affirm he doesn't see himself as a "local" of OB.
Always there to help people on the beach.
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic saying that people would make friends with OB locals if people wouldn't be posting so much about OB.
There is some localism at OB.
Some dudes thinking they own the whole beach from sloat to the cliff house. (I know that for a fact, I've ran into a few of them) just because they live across the street.
But again, he might just be jealous of us looking at OB-KC while he's stuck at the office. :mrgreen:
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:35 am

But back to the subject: I'll see you guys at OB Saturday. :evil:
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible