Lower back pain

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
vdeub
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Lower back pain

Post by vdeub » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:13 am

I tried a similar setup today.
Way more comfortable toe side. I can see the advantage in the surf.
However, I can see, at least, with my bar, that I could not release the chicken loop in case of pb, as the hook is way too small to let the loop go through once released. I guess it depends of the bar, but for a f-one, this is a suicide setup.
However it conviNced me that the dynabar should work fine for me

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:22 pm

If you are a freestyle/wakestyle rider then there is no reason to ride a dynabar for the reasons mentioned.
Yes, it's a little harder to hook back in after riding unhooked, and yes, it's possible to rotate all funny when jumping.
The jumping thing can be fixed with a little technique, the hooking in thing just is what it is. I jump all the time using the pro race setup (the rope). Not freestyle stuff, but airing out of waves etc. I don't have any issues with it.
I find that the benefits of using the dynabar outweigh the hassle of swapping back to a fixed hook when needed.

vdeub
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by vdeub » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:41 pm

After a dozen of sessions, and now that the surf arrived here, I am addicted to the dynabar - basic setup.
I dropped my twin that was killing my hip flexors anyway, and now ride only strapless in the surf.
The freedom you get at the hips is better than a waist harness, even loosely set. And way more comfortable. It takes a while to get used, specially on quick jibes, when the attaché point goes from one extreme to another. but eventually it pays off.
Did not try yet to unhook but it does not seem impossible. Jump are doable, but tricks looks funky. The price is high though for a piece of metal and two strings.
My advice: if you re surfing a lot give a try to the cheap setup above, and once convinced decide if you want the extra benefits of the dynabar - bungee string and real harness hook - not a closed attach point that will prevent a quick release of the chicken loop. This last point , in term of security, is priceless in bigger surf.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Lower back pain

Post by sc-surfer » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:34 pm

Stoked you are liking it!! Makes surf so much better. Not sure what setup you are on but give the 'pro race' setup if you aren't already. Best setup for surf.

vdeub
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by vdeub » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:51 pm

The basic one, cheapest. I may extend later then.

vdeub
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by vdeub » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:55 pm

It is the dynema slider that comes standard

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:26 pm

vdeub wrote:It is the dynema slider that comes standard

Yep. That's the one.

When it starts to wear just go to west marine and get a short length of Amsteel to replaced it. only costs about $5 or so. I find that the Amsteel lasts about 1/2 a season.