Jib, jab, gybe

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
sc-surfer
Resident
Resident
Re: Jib, jab, gybe

Post by sc-surfer » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:34 am

You will find that riding strapless makes you a WAY better kite pilot and that you will tend to be much closer to your board when you crash. My board is almost always within 15-20 feet. On my twin tip it seems like I end up dozens of yards away. Don't know exactly why, but it just works out that way.

Even the water starts are easy. Just don't think about not having straps. Put your feet up on the board and go. It's exactly the same motions!

cleepa
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by cleepa » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:02 am

I have two tips for learning (they have both been said already). First is, no straps!!! Strapless is a lot more fun on a surfboard anyway - moving your feet around really makes a difference for upwind vs turning, etc. I learned to gybe with straps and when I took them off it got so much easier! Second is keep power in the kite when you switch your feet. You can do it two ways. First and easiest is to keep the kite high with power. The second and more slick (and harder) is to do your turn, dive the kite to generate power out of the turn and as you bring the kite back up to normal riding position, use the power from the kites upward movement to help you switch.

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:35 pm

Addicted to strapless. Still no successful transitions but riding strapless today was incredible. Way smoother to get used to than I expected. Didn't hold up the launch failing water starts and made back up initial lost ground downwind pretty quickly once I had a few tacks of practice.

Hope everyone else has as much fun out at third today :)

Sure were plenty of kites out enjoying the wind.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Jib, jab, gybe

Post by sc-surfer » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:42 pm

I keep telling guys that strapless isn't all that hard. It's mostly a mental thing. Free your feet and your mind will follow! I agree it's the best feeling. I managed to hold it together strapless in 35-40 at Wadell today. Never going back!

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:34 pm

Most of the time, riding strapless will give you a significant upwind advantage over strapped riders because you can move your feet closer to the edge of the board and dig your rail. This is especially true when you are underpowered/the wind is light.

Water start? Just drop your board on the water, then power your kite up and jump onto the board and go. No need to get wet!
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.