New to SF

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
oskar
Contributor
Contributor
New to SF

Post by oskar » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi,

Just moved to san francisco from norway to do my master's degree here. I have kited around here a couple of times before, but have a few questions I was hoping you local bay area kiteboarders could help me with.

Is sherman season over already? I really wanna ride the slicks behind the islands up there! What kind of weather should I be looking for to predict a good day up there? Fog in SF and hot temps in Sacramento? Would for example tomorrow work up there?

What other flat water spots can you recommend after the thermal winds in the delta shut down?

I'm always looking for kiting buddies who are up for carpooling from downtown SF to different kite spots, especially people who are into wakestyle/freestyle kiting :) I live in inner richmond now, so send me a message if you live nearby and wanna carpool!

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Re: New to SF

Post by WindMuch » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:10 pm

Hey, welcome!

No, Sherman Island should still have a few good sessions in store this season.

Fog in SF, hot in the Sacramento/Davis/Valley is the ticket.

An iKite membership is a really good way to see when it's blowing. You can get a free 10-day membership here: http://www.ikitesurf.com/services.iws?signup=Free

(I'm not affiliated with iKite in any way, but they sure save me a lot of gas!)

Kirk out

recoprianto
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by recoprianto » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:36 am

Sherman has been blowing 20 all week this week

Todays forecast
Sherman Island: Dawn low to mid 20's. Morning upper teens to low 20's, weaker mid day, then late day build to upper teens to low 20's.

Weekend forecast
High pressure builds aloft starting Friday and continues through the weekend. This helps to lift the trough away to the north but onshore flow at the surface continues so we see a deep marine layer each morning. Saturday and Sunday the North Pacific High's surface NW winds ramp up along the coast, sending Waddell, Crissy, 3rd, back into the solid upper teens and low 20s. Winds should ramp up a little each day, with widespread low 20s by Sunday.
Fri, Sep 7 2012
Waddell taps 20 first....then Crissy, T.I., 3rd, Coyote all join in with at least upper teens.
Sat, Sep 8 2012
Low 20s at Waddell, Crissy, T.I., Berkeley, Sherman, 3rd....with upper teens for many other sites.
Sun, Sep 9 2012
Low 20s at the same favored sites as Saturday with widespread upper teens elsewhere.

Tunces
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Tunces » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:50 am

Just left Sherman after a great dawn patrol. It was low 20's and a flood tide......NICE!!! =-
Tunces - The driving cat!

oskar
Contributor
Contributor

Post by oskar » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:58 am

Thanks for some great replies, and especially the local wind guru predictions! For the weekend, is a NW gonna cause gusty winds at Sherman? Would you instead recommend staying in the bay area? Last time I went to Sherman on a NW it was very gusty and not rideable, but I would love to spend the weekend up there if it is good.

Cheers,
Karl Oskar

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:57 pm

3rd Ave and the coast, especially Waddell, should be great this weekend. 3rd has some of the best wakestyle/freestyle riders around, just chat it up with the peanut gallery down by the lower launch.

Welcome to the area.