Beginner buddy

Hook up with other kiters, share rides, or find a kite mentor & speed your progression.
Forum rules
Use "Group Notice" when posting/responding to notify interested kiters!
CaptChris
Contributor
Contributor
Beginner buddy

Post by CaptChris » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:34 am

Hi All!

Very new to kiting. Have had 1 short water lesson and have good command of the kite in water for self rescue, but not riding yet.
I anticipate using a little used kiting spot around Richmond which seems to be good for beginner practice (seldom other riders around).
Looking for someone to buddy up with... essentially just be present for safety. Your skill level isn't important so long as you can at least self rescue.

Cheers,
Chris

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:23 am

Near Richmond? Sounds like the racetrack or Pt. Isabel, both of which are not beginner friendly at all. Having other kiters around is a good thing when learning so they can watch out for you and warn of dangers. Consider Toll Plaza, Alameda if it gets any wind or Bodega Bay.

mandyqiuxie
Contributor
Contributor

Beginner buddy

Post by mandyqiuxie » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:47 am

jwest21 wrote:Near Richmond? Sounds like the racetrack or Pt. Isabel, both of which are not beginner friendly at all. Having other kiters around is a good thing when learning so they can watch out for you and warn of dangers. Consider Toll Plaza, Alameda if it gets any wind or Bodega Bay.

I always wanna check out bodega bay. Hv u been?
Last edited by mandyqiuxie on Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Mandy

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:17 am

Yeah, Bodega can be really fun when the conditions are right. It's super shallow and needs mid-high tide, but you'll still usually be able to stand up in the water. Launching from the other side and down winding it is possible, albeit a bit sketchy considering the channel markers and small launch area. I just launched from the normal site and had one of my first upwind sessions there earlier in the season. The wind can be very gusty however and directly onshore, but blows like hell when compared to most Alameda days we get this time of year.

It's just a long drive and I've been skunked by it before where 16-20 ended up being 1-2 knots.

mandyqiuxie
Contributor
Contributor

Beginner buddy

Post by mandyqiuxie » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:53 pm

Thx for the info!!!
-Mandy

CaptChris
Contributor
Contributor

Re:

Post by CaptChris » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:40 am

jwest21 wrote:Near Richmond? Sounds like the racetrack or Pt. Isabel, both of which are not beginner friendly at all. Having other kiters around is a good thing when learning so they can watch out for you and warn of dangers. Consider Toll Plaza, Alameda if it gets any wind or Bodega Bay.

You are sooo right about Richmond... as I found out the semi-hard way.
Have since checked out Alameda (twice last Saturday) but no wind so only walked the beach for an hour while hoping.

Thanks for your suggestions! Will be looking up Toll Plaza and Bodega Bay and probably will visit Bodega this weekend.

Sorry for the delay in replying (and to all others who have responded). I had expected to be notified, via email, that there were replies since I had a notification 2 weeks ago. But that reply isn't listed here so I guess it was a PM! haha

Chris

CaptChris
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Beginner buddy

Post by CaptChris » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:28 pm

OK, so I'm having trouble locating the Toll Plaza location.

Is this the area? http://maps.google.com/?ll=37.831141,-1 ... 6&t=m&z=14

Or can someone show me on maps.google.com?

Thanks!

le noun
Old School
Old School

Re: Beginner buddy

Post by le noun » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:05 pm

Toll plaza is one of the toughest spot... to find. :mrgreen:

here you go: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10809&p=78473&hili ... aza#p74523
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D