Kiting in Eureka/Arcata

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Red_Element_Andy
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Kiting in Eureka/Arcata

Post by Red_Element_Andy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:55 pm

Anybody know good spots in the Arcata/Eureka area? It looks like there are mentions of Clam Beach, Eel River Lagoon, and the Big Lagoon --- but I don't see many first hand accounts or much by the way of details. Heading up there this weekend for labor day weekend and on the fence about bringing the gear.

On a side note: Having been lurking all summer and finally was able to get the login to the forums - lots of good resources here. I'm sure I've met a handful of the crowd at Alameda over the last few months, my name is Andy, and I drive a Red Element a.k.a. "birth control car." Thanks for all of the direct and in-direct advice that has gotten me to my intermediate level. ::thumbs-up::

jrg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Kiting in Eureka/Arcata

Post by jrg » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:44 pm

I have windsurfed Big Lagoon ~20 years ago - really fun but it doesn't blow often.
Waited for wind at Eel River - strange place with half buried cars from the 50's.
I think your best chance for wind is to head to Pistol River or Gold Beach in Oregon.

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:36 am

Clam beach is the best place imo, the surf is nice and inviting... actually shallow for a ways out. You're most likely to get a day there this time of year... check the weather forecast right before you leave for clam beach. Big Lagoon is totally doable also but you might as well go to clam if its windy. The launch at Big Lagoon is a little tricky... maybe there is more than one launch but i saw it done out of the campground between trees. I'm driving through to Floras on the 17th and will stop at Clam if its windy. Its on 101 and is a sick beach.

There is a beginner spot somewhere in the Humboldt Bay that I've heard people teach and kite... but I think all the fun is had at South Jetty in storms.

I lived up there... its not very windy. Don't go for kiting... go for the pot!
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:19 pm

On a road trp up north a couple years ago while heading up to Pistol River/Gold Beach, saw kites out at Clam Beach and it looked good. Pistol River was good too...

marinaTKB
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by marinaTKB » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:51 am

just returned from Oregon road trip up the 101 for first time versus the 5. Clam is your best bet for kiteboarding in the local area and its a nice huge sandy u shaped long beach with tons of parking directly off the highway. Only issue up in that area is if the fog/marine layer will shut the wind down. Pistol River seems to always blow like stink so that is normally a good bet as well and was the first place that the sun came out on my drive near the ocean:-)

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:37 pm

Pistol River can get OMG windy, ie your 7's way too big. The windsurfing guys can get a little testy there so mind your manners.......Cape Sebastian is just a few minutes up the road, and there's a really nice wave there.....but the wind often gets kind of flukey and swirly coming around the cape.

Just north of there is Humbug.....little beach next to the campground there, underneath the bridge overpass. Can be fun......

Lots of critters in the water up there........

Red_Element_Andy
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Red_Element_Andy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:50 pm

Trip Report: Within the limits of the rest of the group, was able to hit up Clam Beach, Mad River, Big Lagoon, Stone Lagoon, and Freshwater lagoon ... but none had enough wind for kiting. Taught a few how to use a traction kite, and even took a turn on a windsurfer at some point! (A blistering 3-4 kts on big lagoon).

That said, still a neat place to visit. Avenue of the Giants lives up the hype.