Guidance on building a first quiver

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
tulley
Joey
Joey
Guidance on building a first quiver

Post by tulley » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:31 pm

Hoping someone can give a beginner some guidance..

Context
160# Beginner from Folsom on 144cm twintip
Been kiting exclusively at Sherman
Hope do more locally this fall

I have bought (1) kite, a 12M 2010 Switchblade, with the plan of adding a 2nd. And hopefully stick to having only (2) kites for the next year or two (pending the level of addiction :-)

Question: Should i buy an 8M or a 9M Switchblade as the 2nd kite?

I have been told:
1. I should stick w/ same kite model
2. Year model doesn't matter much (2010 or newer)
3. the second kite decision is pretty kite specific and someone who rides switchblades would be best able to advise.

Thanks for any guidance!

wjb
Resident
Resident

Re: Guidance on building a first quiver

Post by wjb » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:46 pm

I have an 11 and an 8. That is about as big a jump as I would want so for you I would stick with a 9. If you start riding the coast you can add a 7 and be set. Until you need a 5 :supz: :supz: :supz:
It is obvious that we can no more explain a passion to a person who has never experienced it than we can explain light to the blind. T.S.Eliot

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:23 am

I agree that the 3m jump is generally as big as you want to go, and 2m is more ideal at smaller sizes. I love having a 12 + 9 for typical use and a 7 waiting for me when those gusts are just too much for a 9m. Adding a surfboard to your garage can really help, too, and can usually be found used for under $300. Lot less safety concerns when you go back a few more years as long as it wasn't abused.
Sold all my gear; ebbs and flows; see you next season.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:50 am

What they said, I wouldn't go bigger than a 3 size jump.
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

MehYam
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by MehYam » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:01 pm

I went 12/9 for my first quiver but regret it the next season, since a 10m was really the sweet spot, and the 12 was usually too powered. In hindsight, I would have gone 12 - 10 or 11 - 9 and added a third, smaller kite a bit later.

I'd figure at 160 lbs an 11m would have been a better first size for you, but I don't kite Sherman so I don't really know.

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:11 pm

MehYam wrote:I went 12/9 for my first quiver but regret it the next season, since a 10m was really the sweet spot, and the 12 was usually too powered. In hindsight, I would have gone 12 - 10 or 11 - 9 and added a third, smaller kite a bit later.

I'd figure at 160 lbs an 11m would have been a better first size for you, but I don't kite Sherman so I don't really know.
That's the best advice. Get the money kite, the one you use 80% of the times, and figure it out from there. Is 12m your money size? I am at your weight and my go to kite is 10m (used to have switchblade 10m and crossbow). But I rarely go to Sherman, so that was never a factor for me. Also look at other kites as well, its nicer to have the same model twice but not a big deal.

ddubwinokur
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ddubwinokur » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:49 pm

Ummmmm, having multiple kites of the same model or manufacturer is pretty useful actually. Bars/lines cost a ton, from 3-500 bucks. It's much cheaper to only have one or two bars that can work with many different kite models.

Generally bars from one model shold work fine with other kites of the same model, although you may want a smaller bar. Bars *usually* work across all models from a certain manufactuer, for instance the RRD global bar. Many bars can be set up to work across manufacturers even. This is because most lines are equal length now, and almost any bar with the right length lines can work.

Of course, you need to make sure that you use 4 line bars with 4 line kites, and 5 lines with 5 line kites.

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:09 pm

tulley wrote:
Question: Should i buy an 8M or a 9M Switchblade as the 2nd kite?

Thanks for any guidance!
I'd get a 9m w the small bar... eventually get the 7m for the spring time next year w no bar. I imagine the crossbow has lots of range, if it does 9\12 will be nice for the bay. Anything into the 30s you will be blown off the water though.
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:25 pm

I gotta say I have a 2010 10m and 12m. Halfway thru the season I stopped flying my 12. I just don't find it necessary anymore - and I weigh 210#.

I know it takes some experience to be efficient enough to fly a smaller kite but when you get there you'll understand why a smaller kite is so much better. And frankly the power of the 10m switch is more than enough for nearly all conditions here in the bay area.

And when it's 24 or above I take out my 2012 8m switch which is just a fantastic kite.

I'd recommend if you are already solid in your kiting try to go a little smaller - the 12/9 combo seems like a great idea.

I fly all three with the medium size 2012 cabrinha bar - something I highly recommend also. So clean...

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:42 pm

elli wrote:
MehYam wrote:I went 12/9 for my first quiver but regret it the next season, since a 10m was really the sweet spot, and the 12 was usually too powered. In hindsight, I would have gone 12 - 10 or 11 - 9 and added a third, smaller kite a bit later.

That's the best advice. Get the money kite, the one you use 80% of the times, and figure it out from there. Is 12m your money size? I am at your weight and my go to kite is 10m (used to have switchblade 10m and crossbow). But I rarely go to Sherman, so that was never a factor for me. Also look at other kites as well, its nicer to have the same model twice but not a big deal.
you see, I agree with that, but I'm still wondering about what my quiver of Bandit 6 will be this month... 7/9/11/14? 7/9/12?
My money kite is 11. I'm 180lbs always on tiny TT (134). I'd say I'm using the 11 70% of the time.
But the 9/11 combo have the tendency to overlap each other around 20/22mph.
i don't wanna switch to a 6/8/11. I barely use the 7 so going smaller doesn't even make sense to me.
So I think I'm gonna go 7/9/12 this year, just because nowadays kite got such a great range, even if the 11 used to be my money kite, a 12/9 should help me to cover more wind 95% of the time.
I usually don't have fun going out on a 14 (if it's that light that I need a 14, why even bother?) and the 7 is for "survivor days at OB". :mrgreen:
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D