A mexican kitemare

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Greg
Old School
Old School
Re: A mexican kitemare

Post by Greg » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:24 am

Last time I was there it blew 20 to 30 for several days, it was so windy (in fact) they closed the harbor 2 of the 6 days. (Thankfully I was taking Scuba lessons because my girl wanted to hold my head underwater for even suggesting I go windsurfing)

It was GREAT! (NOT) Experenced divers were chumming fish to the dive boat,(throwing up) which was good because the water clairity was screwed....
I picked a fight with two drunk Russian (A-holes) while underwater...

Then our BEAUTIFUL dive instructor got FIRED by her French boss for trying to control the situation (telling the Russians she was going to expel them for misbehavior)...
By the time we finished with the class I was mad enough to SPIT in that JERKS FACE for allowing those guys to stay in the class while he sat on his A$$ and did NOTHING (to improve the class for everyone else) This guy had the BALLS to tell me and my girl to CALM DOWN and RELAX when we explained what was really going on and who was at fault- (He held his ground on firing the woman saying she was BAD FOR HIS BUSINESS) (GREAT INSTRUCTION!!!)

Needless to say I've NEVER BEEN BACK-

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Post by kitenaked » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:27 am

Along the lines of what Ollie wrote...but maybe on the bigger picture of life.

Each of us has an internal tank or battery that needs to be filled, yet needs to be consumed. Use it up everyday, charge it up as you reflect on the good times you have had and the challenges you have overcome.

I wrote this to my daughter in NYC.

Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot

tomerp
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

A mexican kitemare

Post by tomerp » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:19 pm

Greg wrote:Last time I was there it blew 20 to 30 for several days, it was so windy (in fact) they closed the harbor 2 of the 6 days. (Thankfully I was taking Scuba lessons because my girl wanted to hold my head underwater for even suggesting I go windsurfing)

It was GREAT! (NOT) Experenced divers were chumming fish to the dive boat,(throwing up) which was good because the water clairity was screwed....
I picked a fight with two drunk Russian (A-holes) while underwater...

Then our BEAUTIFUL dive instructor got FIRED by her French boss for trying to control the situation (telling the Russians she was going to expel them for misbehavior)...
By the time we finished with the class I was mad enough to SPIT in that JERKS FACE for allowing those guys to stay in the class while he sat on his A$$ and did NOTHING (to improve the class for everyone else) This guy had the BALLS to tell me and my girl to CALM DOWN and RELAX when we explained what was really going on and who was at fault- (He held his ground on firing the woman saying she was BAD FOR HIS BUSINESS) (GREAT INSTRUCTION!!!)

Needless to say I've NEVER BEEN BACK-
I almost became a dive master (got up to padi rescue diver) till I realized that kiting is way more fun than scuba.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:05 pm

Kiting IS way more fun then Scuba and 10X more fun then Windsurfing!!

Just kidd :lol: ing-
(all of them are fun)
G'

buckidge
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by buckidge » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:17 pm

This grino is a happy Kiter today based on the generosity and trust of a friendly Mexican Kiter...
Found some kiters on the beach and chatted with then while they waited for the wind to come up. great folks as all kiters are.

After helping a guy reel in his kite after he couldn't relaunch he offered to let me borrow his gear. 2008 rrd (obsession?) With no safety leash and the worst shape harness ever. But hey... Its alright,I was gonna kite.

Then I couldnt fly the kite to save my life. Kite fell to the beach right in the power zone three times forcing me to hot launch each time. I'm guessing this guy thought I was quite the American poser and that his kite was surely going to kill beachgoers or get damaged. So I gave up and landed it to him. No harm done :)

Then he tried it and couldn't fly it well either as a result of a slightly delayed LE and the wind having dropped off.

All around a great experience.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are built for"

yojimbo
Regular
Regular

Post by yojimbo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:15 am

Hahaha, I feel so much better now knowing that someone else went through this experience as well. While in Tulum, with no wind for a week, I saw some guys go out in the afternoon. I walked down to the nearest kiosk and rented a rig. All really old equipment. The wind was straight on shore and I think my mistake was not body dragging out beyond the shore break. After several attempts at getting out beyond the shore break and not succeeding the rental guy waved me in.

On the "walk of shame" back to get my stuff the rental guy recommended that I take some "lessons".This was the most horrible experience of my kiting career-you handled yours with much greater aplomb.

I never got a sense of the wave kiting scene in Tulum, the wind appears to be directly onshore, and the reef is way, way out from the beach. I have been to Cabarete, and although I prefer Tulum overall, the wave kiting in Cabarete is far superior

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:01 pm

Jeez you guys, haha. Get some experience in at Berkeley and as far as on-shore goes, you're all set. Then all you do is body drag out with the right timing over any shore break (in Mexico, etc., not Berkeley, haha).

Saying it with a smile though, for both of you those are pretty good tales, we've all been there. Reminds me of when I went to Maui and took a lesson with my 2-line Cab 6.5 and LF 171 Picklefork...that was humbling...back in the days of the little mini-pumps too...

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:38 pm

back in the dayz of the mini pumps!!! ](*,) LOL!

I've been kit'n since,.. long before "Kook-Proof" leaders-

Remember when they added valves?? Saved allot of Stroke'n- JQI*