Protect your eyes!

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
DrakeS
Joey
Joey
Protect your eyes!

Post by DrakeS » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:43 pm

Here is a quite interesting article about kitesurfing and damages on the eyes. I´ve never used sunglasses before, but I might start doing it!

http://kite2012.com/kitesurfers-protect-your-eyes/

dpca10
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Protect your eyes!

Post by dpca10 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:42 pm

If you are in the market for water sunglasses these are definetly worth a look.

http://www.kurtisusa.com/

Hands down my favorite water model. I have the Dukes. Pricey but as far as I know the only fully flexible, polarized, 100% uv rated glasses out there. With the amount of crashes I take I need something with 0 chance to break off in my eye. Designed to take surfing wipeouts so they stay on kiteboarding no problem. I'll be wearing them a bunch at 3rd now that the sun has moved into our site line as it does late season. By September I can't see ish in my port tack. Anyway if anyone wants to take them for a spin let me know. Great for mountain biking and sup'ing as well.

Captain John
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by Captain John » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:00 pm

I wonder if the wind on your eyes is increased from any venturi effect around the frame?
Last edited by Captain John on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
KiteTheBay.com

yojimbo
Regular
Regular

Post by yojimbo » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:58 pm

This article is spot on. My eyes were always getting fried, didn't realize that it could result in long term consequences. I have been on the hunt for a pair of decent looking shades, found these:

http://www.bombereyewear.com/shop/nitro ... 1-ps-p365/

guidoz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by guidoz » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:32 pm

I am kind of sick of loosing my seaspecs, but I just keep buying them anyway. Buy 2 get one free, haha ;-)

seriously, I believe in eye protection. I like wearing them. I just loose them once in a while, cause I crash pretty hard and very often. Sometimes, when I don't wear them I feel like my eyes just get fried... don't know, its probably a good idea to wear something.

jowall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jowall » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:21 pm

I only wear these for dawn patrol at Sherman or when traveling. The neck leash means they will certainly not get lost.

http://surfshadesusa.com/

john

mandyqiuxie
Contributor
Contributor

Protect your eyes!

Post by mandyqiuxie » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:08 pm

Lost my black Oakley Frogskins at 3rd Wednesday :(
Last edited by mandyqiuxie on Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Mandy

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:00 pm

Someone needs to release specs that float....

Does anyone have tricks on how to keep the water off? Drives crazy having the droplets. Was thinking rainx or something
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:27 am

NCK I checked that bomber sunglass link above - they float, they flex, they keep water off, are polarized and they're anti-fog etc.. Poke around that link if you haven't yet

The bomber's look interesting - I been trying the $5 mall hut special with rain-x on front and anti-fog on back & straps, but maybe I'll invest

The fried eye thing is true - I've seen people who have been living in Florida for years on the coast who don't typically wear sunglasses with their whites yellowed out. I think it has something to do with how the water scatters the UV / sun reflection that throw your eyes off