Flying to Floras

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
dpca10
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Flying to Floras

Post by dpca10 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:15 pm

How consistent is floras this time of year, any good resourses or tips for forecasting it?

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:13 pm

It blows all year, mostly from the north in the spring/summer, south in the winter. The lake is consistently windy but it blows harder both up and down the coast. 7m and smaller not uncommon.

Ikite has historical data and meteograms, but the forecast is not that great. General pattern is to blow hard for a few days and then lay down for a day or two.....right now it's 17 to 27, average 21.

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Post by shred_da_gorge » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:12 am

I don't know how I managed the 7 hrs w/out a ticket but the radar detector was a big help.
Better have a good one - OSP uses pulsed laser radar, so the one I had when I lived in Hood River was useless up there but worked fine down here over the line on I-5. Went by 5 cops in I-84 on a Memorial Day sting operation and not a single one set it off, despite it being a high-end one with a laser detector (that doesn't help being on the dash when they aim at your license plate anyway).

jrg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jrg » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:17 am

A friend met us up there this summer for 2 days - he flew into Eugene and rented a car for ~$20/day. I think its a 3hr drive. But he works for the airlines so the flight was free. Both days were 8m wind with great waves - well worth the effort.