GW at Dillon

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Bulldog
Old School
Old School
Re: GW at Dillon

Post by Bulldog » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:10 pm

Last week I was talking with "the Ranger" at Waddell about a spot that some folks have been kiting north of Ano Nuevo...he told me about the time he saw a 20 ft. GW eat the carcass of an 18 footer that had washed up on the beach where kiters have been launching lately. The action all took place in about 3 feet of water.

It took me a lot longer than normal to get into the water after hearing that story...
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:28 pm

Bulldog wrote:Last week I was talking with "the Ranger" at Waddell about a spot that some folks have been kiting north of Ano Nuevo...he told me about the time he saw a 20 ft. GW eat the carcass of an 18 footer that had washed up on the beach where kiters have been launching lately. The action all took place in about 3 feet of water.

It took me a lot longer than normal to get into the water after hearing that story...
Yep. totally sketchy place. Not worth the walk in.

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:30 pm

Lets just assume the whole ca coast is shark infested year round :character-jaws: get over it and go ride.
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:45 am

sloughslut wrote:Lets just assume the whole ca coast is shark infested year round :character-jaws: get over it and go ride.
+1
You know they are there. Stop lying to yourself. Just deal with it and go ride! SS$$
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:30 am

Ya, but don't kite any of the walk in spots. Way to dangerous. )))

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:33 am

Agree that it's stupid to stress out too much over sharks given the low level of attacks vs the amount of folks that are in the water. At the same time, I think it is tempting fate to completely disregard the fact that some places have more sharks than others. Call me a pussy for being a little circumspect about going out at some of those spots unless there are other people out (just one other guy cuts your chances of being chomped by 50%).

I think you have a different perspective if people that are close to you have been attacked. Doesn't keep people like Rebstock out of the water, and his dad has one of the best shark stories around (the best ones are when you survive getting chomped). Healthy respect is due to both survivors........ and the big fish.

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:59 pm

sc-surfer wrote:Ya, but don't kite any of the walk in spots. Way to dangerous. )))
You are more likely to get poision oak or your kite ripped on the rocks than bit by a shark at those walk in places :::)
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:41 pm

Plus FOG you know if you break down at Waddell you can count on me to drag you in "?%#

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

GW at Dillon

Post by sc-surfer » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:21 pm

sloughslut wrote:
sc-surfer wrote:Ya, but don't kite any of the walk in spots. Way to dangerous. )))
You are more likely to get poision oak or your kite ripped on the rocks than bit by a shark at those walk in places :::)
Geez… we need a refresher on the rules of fight club.

:-)

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:43 am

You're unlikely to die from poison oak though. :mrgreen:
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D