Surfers and Kiters Sharing the Lineup

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
nfal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nfal » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:42 pm

As a surfer and a kiter, seeing stuff like this makes me forget all the kookiness I've seen happen kiting. Stoked.

http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/showfl ... ost2369554

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Re: Surfers and Kiters Sharing the Lineup

Post by WindMuch » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:53 pm

Good job kite crew! Keep up the good vibe and karma on the water, especially in the waves.

I loved this:

"Kite surfing requires skill.
Supping is easy.
Kitesurfers are usually skilled watermen.
SUPpers can just as easily be skilled or donkeys."

Kirk out

Thor29
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Thor29 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:56 pm

WindMuch wrote:Good job kite crew! Keep up the good vibe and karma on the water, especially in the waves.

I loved this:

"Kite surfing requires skill.
Supping is easy.
Kitesurfers are usually skilled watermen.
SUPpers can just as easily be skilled or donkeys."

Kirk out
You lose karma points for jumping on the anti-SUP bandwagon. Everybody in the USA is always wanting to hate on somebody else. Car drivers vs cyclists, windsurfers vs kiteboarders, prone surfers vs SUP, on and on and on....

If everybody is so concerned about skill and thinks SUP surfing is too easy, then surfers should man up and body surf naked.

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:18 pm

Now now, no hating. If you read the original quote from the surfermag.com forum it says:

"SUPpers can just as easily be skilled or donkeys."

There *could* actually be a complement there... if you choose to read it that way. Your choice...

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:07 pm

SUPs are SO HOT right now.........

Actually, rehabbing from injury SuPping is about the only thing I can do.....right now. Good thing, too.......here in Maine if I dropped a kite in the water it would get snagged on a lobster buoy in about 2 seconds flat.

And it IS flat.....no waves.......no wind.....

But back to topic, not hard for everybody to coexist.......people that SUP need to chill and not hog waves, same as kiters. SUPs have extra responsibility in the lineup because they're so humongous and SUPer dangerous to others if you mess up.

Kirk is anti-SUP for the time being but just from a participation standpoint.......we'll see........it's all good.......just another way to reap the benefits of being on the water.......

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:46 pm

friggin old guy wrote:
Kirk is anti-SUP for the time being but just from a participation standpoint.......we'll see........it's all good.......just another way to reap the benefits of being on the water.......
I'm not anti-SUP! I'm just SO done tying large boards (i.e. windsurfers) on the roof of my car(s)! Did that for 20+ years. Done. Done. Done. Gimme a 5'8" surfboard inside my car any day...

Plus, the turning radius of a SUP just doesn't really make me smile. But I never say 'never'...

Kirk out

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:49 pm

I guess I look at SUP this way…

Imagine turning a bunch of a average normal drivers in caddy el dorado's loose on the F-1 racecourse. Sure they may make it around the track, but the mayhem will be insane.

There's a place for everything and a busy lineup on a good wave isn't it unless you have earned the right and ability to be there. Most SUP pilots do not have the skill to ride a busy performance oriented wave.

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:20 pm

For me, SUPs aren't so much about riding existing (crowded) surf spots as they are about opening up new ones.

Case in point.....I'm in Maine right now, and have been coming up here to my wife's family place on the coast for over 30 years. Never seen a decent wave around here, and although I know there are some waves within an hour or so driving, never seemed worth chasing.

First day I had a SUP here, found a workable wave within 15 minute's paddle on a little offshore island. Tides here change 10 ft, and these little rocky ledges appear and disappear within a few minutes. Not in a place where you'd normally consider paddling a surfboard out to.......lots of water moving around.

I'm calling it Bippo's. Not telling where it is.

Kiters and surfers won't tend to tangle too much, as surfers tend to get out of the water if it's windy. More chances for SUP and surfers to get into it, especially if the SUPpers are donkeys. But......Sups open up lots of new possibilities, waves that aren't rideable (or approachable) on regular boards. Room for everybody.......!