Recommendations for Jericoacoara

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
BryanMichaelMeyer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Recommendations for Jericoacoara

Post by BryanMichaelMeyer » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:14 am

Hello!

http://www.ikiteboarding.com/kiteboardi ... ceara.aspx

I am pretty close to getting a one way ticket to Jericoacoara for the second week in October. I am coming back depending on the experience and if I am going to travel around SA. I am definitely on a budget but have all the necessities to camp and survive with minimal needs. Anyone know if I can camp somewhere near here? Or does anyone have connections that I can trade a room for work? My goal is to kite and kite more and kite a little more. Otherwise please share your experiences and recommendations for what I should take with me.

Anyone want to go? :)

Bryan

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Re: Recommendations for Jericoacoara

Post by adamrod » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:04 am

it's an awesome place. i wouldn't plan on camping though. Don't think it's an option based on the times I went there.

your best bet would be to get a room in a cheap pousada for the first week and then ask around, i'm sure you could find a room to rent.

do you speak portuguese? if not, start learning. A lot of folks don't speak English. bring a 6m kite. you'll need it. also, kites/boards are VERY expensive there, you could likely make a neat profit bringing over some extra gear and selling it.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

BryanMichaelMeyer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by BryanMichaelMeyer » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:14 am

Thanks for the info! Maybe I will order up a 6m as 8m is my smallest. Nope, no portuguese but I will get a book. If I need gear how easy is it to ship it there?

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:48 pm

wouldn't recommend shipping it there. if it was easy, everyone would do it. when you ship it, you have to pay import tax, which is something around 100%. it's a lot. hence, kiteboards were $1500 US...

i've heard stories of people shipping new kites but sprinkling some sand in the bags to try to pass them off as "used" to save on tax...

in previous trips, we did well selling all our kites at the end of the trip. the hardest part was finding a buyer though...but if you live there it'd be easy.

in late fall it can be very windy. there were some days that folks were on 3m kites.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

BryanMichaelMeyer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by BryanMichaelMeyer » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:00 pm

Wow! ok I may order up a 6m as I get closer to buying my kite. thanks for the tips.

windrider99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by windrider99 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:48 am

I'm leaving for Brazil early September. Plan to be there a couple months and try all the kiting spots between Cumbucu and Jeri. PM me if you want to meet up some time...

windrider99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by windrider99 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:37 pm

If youre interested in Brazil, check out this 10 day downwind tour. The dune buggies sound sick!

http://www.kiteadventures.com/KA_pages/ ... rview.html

BryanMichaelMeyer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by BryanMichaelMeyer » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:57 pm

Stoked! Trip booked. October 13th-December 17th. I was connected with a good priced room and people to sell kites to when i get there.That downwinder looks awesome!

ringzero
Joey
Joey

Post by ringzero » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:30 am

Nice. I'm also planning to go but I want flexibility and can't decide on one-way tickets or a round trip. Sounds look you decided on a RT. Was it because of the Brazilian visa?

BryanMichaelMeyer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by BryanMichaelMeyer » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:49 am

Yes it was because of the visa. I didn't have time to plan on leaving from another country because I had to get the visa and was headed to backpack the John Muir trail. Next time I will exit the country and figure out a ticket from Peru or another country. Lesson learned. Excited to see where this trip takes me.