Where to go to practice?

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
denniskempin
Contributor
Contributor
Where to go to practice?

Post by denniskempin » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:36 pm

Hello everyone!

I am very new to Kiteboarding, I had a some lessons at KGB in Oakland and now I am trying to practice on my own. I have only been to Alameda for now and I am still struggling with getting up on the board.

Next week I plan to change this. I have a full week I can dedicate to Kiteboarding and I am looking for spots around the bay area where I can practice.

The problem with Alameda is, though the beach is amazing for a beginner like me, the wind does not seem to be strong enough around these days. Windfinder predicts a maximum of 10 knots for next week. According to my kites manual (Best Kahoona 11.5m) and my experience I need at least 11-12 knots to keep my kite stable.

Are there any other places you can suggest that have good wind and a beginner friendly environment?

Thanks in advance!
- Dennis

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Where to go to practice?

Post by sc-surfer » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:43 pm

Making popcorn now…

rocketdoctor
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Where to go to practice?

Post by rocketdoctor » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:06 pm

Heres another thread on a similar topic

https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/for ... 2&start=10

windrider99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by windrider99 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:28 pm

Aruba...

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Re: Re: Where to go to practice?

Post by kitenaked » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:00 pm

I'll help you rig your gear and have beers ready afyer a successful session.
Last edited by kitenaked on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Re: Re: Where to go to practice?

Post by kitenaked » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:06 pm

denniskempin wrote:Hello everyone!

I am very new to Kiteboarding, I had a some lessons at KGB in Oakland and now I am trying to practice on my own. I have only been to Alameda for now and I am still struggling with getting up on the board.

Next week I plan to change this. I have a full week I can dedicate to Kiteboarding and I am looking for spots around the bay area where I can practice.

The problem with Alameda is, though the beach is amazing for a beginner like me, the wind does not seem to be strong enough around these days. Windfinder predicts a maximum of 10 knots for next week. According to my kites manual (Best Kahoona 11.5m) and my experience I need at least 11-12 knots to keep my kite stable.

Are there any other places you can suggest that have good wind and a beginner friendly environment?

Thanks in advance!
- Dennis

Dennis,

Go to Sherman. Take another lesson or two from Nat at Edge Kiteboarding. Sounds like you are not ready to leave the nest.

Optionally, there's Alameda..but there needs to be wind....

Send me a pm or call if you want to talk regarding where your level is and what really makes sense.

There is also a beginner thread on the forum. Think this was previously mentioned.....

Happy to help out if you need.
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:11 pm

Welcome Dennis.

Have you got some money to blow? If so, go elsewhere and take some lessons where the wind is best. That might be Aruba, that might be Sherman Island on a downwinder.

If you're on a budget, you pretty much got Bodega and Alameda to fight it out over which might just pick up in the afternoon. Problem is they're 2 hours apart. Get an iKiteSurf subscription for $10/month— Bodega and coastal forecasting is pretty good. Alameda is hit or miss this time of year.

You might need a smaller kite to get much progression in this year. Once you start getting comfortable and capable of hitting 3rd or Sherman solo, it usually blows pretty hard.

If you get lucky with a few solid days of kiting, practice your self rescue and launching as many chances as you get. Maybe even find a kind enough kiter on the beach to catch and relaunch you a few times. I mostly learned to body drag, launch and self-rescue at Alameda, then learned to kiteboard at 3rd and Bodega.
Sold all my gear; ebbs and flows; see you next season.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Where to go to practice?

Post by sc-surfer » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:56 pm

Oh ya, Kirk, that one. Sorry. My bad.

Dennis, welcome. I'll be happy to give you a tour of the coast when you are ready.

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:45 pm

kitenaked wrote:
sc-surfer wrote:Making popcorn now…
I'll get the beers..
Alright boyz, this is the new kiter forum and 'we' promised everyone we'd refrain from the snark in here...

(wearing my 'Forum Mom' hat tonight)

Kirk out

rvv
Regular
Regular

Post by rvv » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:44 am

Dennis,
Remember to read your safety sheet that was given to you.
If you don't have it here it is again.

New Kiteboarder Basic Safety Tips

Thanks for taking your kiteboarding lessons with us at KGB Kiteboarding and welcome to the exciting world of kiting! Now that you have finished your basic lessons you are a “newbie kiter” and you are now ready to start practicing on your own or with a friend. We recommend that you start by practicing all the safety techniques and self rescue techniques that you learned during your lessons as well as body dragging for a few hours before attempting your board-starts again. Practicing in this way will give you a solid safety foundation to build upon and make controlling the kite and getting up on the board much, much easier.

Always remember that kiting can be a very dangerous sport, so it is up to every kiter to be safe, independent and responsible for the kite launch spot, themselves and others on the beach and in the water. If you ever perceive someone as possibly being unsafe or are yourself uncertain about safety or any other procedures please speak up at that time! No one at the kite spot wants to get hurt, or hurt anyone else. In many cases there are experienced kiters around that are always willing to help out a new kiter or answer any safety questions. It is up to all of us the keep this sport safe and friendly for all to enjoy.

To help you get started in this exciting sport we have put together some useful information for you to refer to until you get more comfortable out there kiting on your own. If you have any questions about purchasing gear, equipment choices, kiting locations, conditions or anything else kite related we are always available. Please feel free to ask your instructor any questions you may have or give us a call anytime at 888.411.0732.

Here are some kiteboarding safety tips we should all practice:
Use all your safety tools: Lessons, common sense, kite leash, quick releases, knife, helmet, impact vest, booties, sandbags, buddy system, know the forecast and wind & tide conditions, know your ability and stay within your limits!
When at a new spot try to make friends with an experienced kiter to help you get the location conditions and any launch area & kite spot hazards dialed in.
Try to partner with experienced kiters only to help you launch and land your kite. Not Spectators! No self-launching in the launch area. Use assisted launch & landing whenever possible.
Use rigging area only for set-up or take down.
Weight your kite with sand when not in use to keep it secure.
Do a pre-flight check on all your gear.
Walk down your lines through your fingers. Feel for nicks, cuts or knots.
Know your specific safety systems and test them regularly. All kites must have a safety leash, and quick release systems.
Launch, Learn & practice downwind from other kiters as a beginner. This includes the flying of trainer kites.
Launch & land your kite with no solid objects at least 100 yards downwind.
Use launch & landing area only for launching & landing, not for rigging and only when you are completely suited up and ready to enter the water with your kite.
Do not leave bar and lines laid out and walk away. This creates a hazard for the public and other kiters launching & landing in the area. When not in use your Bar and lines should be rolled up and stored on the kite and in the rigging area.
The signal for launch is "thumbs up" By both parties! Make certain your kite is in the correct powered position and not flapping.
The signal for an assisted landing is to "pat your head" Done by both parties! Make certain to be upwind of the kite when catching a landing kite.
Never let a line wrap around any body part! Always carry a hook knife.
No jumps or tricks in the launching area, or within 100 yards of other kiters/beach.
Avoid collisions at all costs. Avoid all watercraft, swimmers & wildlife.
Don’t tailgate other Kiters on the water.
Never kite out further than you can swim back.
The outgoing kiter (launching) has right away over the incoming kiter (riding).
Right hand forward kiter has right of way and shall maintain course, but raise kite high.
Left hand forward kiter must give way and alter course.
Up wind kiter should raise kite for passing.
Down wind kiter should lower kite for passing.
When doing jumps or using kickers, sliders & rails, follow the same rotation and direction as other kiters as to not cause conflicts.
Do not fly any traction kite in close proximity to power lines or any fixed obstacle, (trees, boats, rocks, fences etc) distance is always your friend. Enter the water immediately after launching. Always use a leash that kills the kite's power when the quick release safety system is released. This is for your safety, the safety of those around you, and because we don't want to see anyone lose a kite.
Wind Speed/Effects. Depending on the size of kites you own, you can ride in winds from 10-35 mph, but we suggest newcomers don't try anything over 15-20mph until they are confident in their skills. Be cautious of kiting around structures and near buildings or bluffs as the updrafts and turbulence could cause your kite to fly erratically or even carry you up over the top. Be aware of any obstacles that may create various wind effects that may affect your ability to control the kite.
Kite Size: In general, a 170 lb person would use a 12m inflatable kite in 10-20kt. The heavier the rider is, then the bigger the kite size needed. The lighter the rider the smaller the kite size. The stronger the winds (20kt+) the smaller the kite needed overall. Sounds confusing; it can be. There is a learning curve to judging wind speed and kite size, always error on the side of safety. Common sense should always be used, if not sure of right size for conditions start small and work up in size, or ask an experienced kiter before rigging or going out.
Where to Ride: Toll Plaza beach or Alameda are good places for you to start practicing. Make sure you rig down the beach away from others, have help launching and landing & avoid the power-lines & riprap hazards. These spots are ideal when learning because they have beaches with shallow water. Once you have learned how to ride upwind, are kiting in both directions consistently, making turns & able to handle higher winds (20+kt) you may consider going to 3rd Avenue, Sherman Island and other spots around the bay or the world. See our links page for “local area kite launches” map link.

Please continue to use this as a future reference tool. These tips are meant only as a guide and are by no means a complete kiteboarding safety list. We hope you have a fun and safe time kiting
Last edited by rvv on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Royce V
KGBswag