Replacement Pump

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Replacement Pump

Post by etxxz » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:31 am

omg =

jajaja

i "rebuild" mine all the time, more like freshen em up. Open it by twisting the top cap off, clean em up, maybe replace the two seals (i've never had to just dirt and grime make it leak). A little lube on the walls and then they're like new. I have 3 pumps. You can have one for free... i sued to use it to get my coal bbq going, but i went with gas and so its def not being used anymore.

i find pumps a good warm up and for my back before i go in.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:22 pm

NCKite_Ryder wrote:Just mooch a free pump off a beginner. They usually have brand new pumps.
Bwaahaaaaaaahaaaaahaaaaaa... :::)

Perfect! and True!

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:22 pm

sc-surfer wrote:
Yoda wrote:Get one of these... http://vimeo.com/6590745
Ya. That would work! Or one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002MUAUJM
So I ordered up one of the B & D battery powered pumps in the link above. Mostly because I'm a nerd and partly because I couldn't kite for a few weeks after ear surgery and I was bored. Figured it would be super useful around the house even if it did suck for kites. So here's the review...

It does work. The high volume mode fills up my biggest kite (14m) to as high a pressure as it can in about 3 min. Probably only about 2-3 psi. Not rideable. Then you have to switch it over to the high pressure setting. It takes another 4-5 min. to get up to 9 psi. It does shut off at the pressure you have set.

Smaller kites are much faster. My 7m has about 1/2 the air in it and goes proportionally faster.

I find that I will often fly 3 kites in a 3-4 hour session at Front Yards ad it does make it easier to fill multiple kites since it works in the background.

I find that I can turn it on and walk out my lines, then switch to to pressure and finish suiting up and rigging. It's done when I am.

Battery life seems good so far. Can fill several kites on a charge. Recharges in the house on 110v or in the car on 12v.

Pros:

Cheap at less than $50
Works
Also useable for tons of stuff around like bike tires, air mattresses, toys etc...
Small and portable. Actually fits in the bottom of my kite bag or in my surf tub

Cons:

Kinda' dorky
Have to manually switch from high volume to high pressure to fully fill kite
Sand gets in the controls
kinda' dorky :roll:

Overall I'd say it's a great cheapo alternative to the fancy euro kite pump and it also works for other things, unlike the euro one, but by no means a necessity.