Time for a little dreaming

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
yojimbo
Regular
Regular
Time for a little dreaming

Post by yojimbo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:24 pm

I was in Cabarete a couple of years ago and encountered this guy who told me that he basically follows the sun, wind and the waves. Part of the year he spends in Cabarete, then goes somewhere on the coast of Spain, and then onto Brazil. He kitesurfs all year round in warm weather with amazing waves. We were staying a very posh eco-resort, so I am assuming he was seeking these places out wherever he goes. I had visions of Endless Summer mixed together with Point Break.

Pretend you are a Trustafarian, where would you go to follow the sun, wind and waves? If you are a Trustafarian, please let us know where you go and when.
Attachments
the-endless-summer-movie.jpg
the-endless-summer-movie.jpg (20.68KiB)Viewed 957 times

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Re: Time for a little dreaming

Post by Aloha » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:44 am

San Francisco / Los Angeles March - October

Honolulu / Miami November - Feb

If I were a trustafarian I'd be on same rotation only it would be cool to fly first class

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:47 am

I can think of a million places - Tarifa, Egypt, Zanzibar, Brazil, Fiji, Perth, Greece...

Btw I'm in cabarete now :-). Did you ever kite la boca? Looking at videos it doesn't look any better than Sherman. Maybe I am missing something. We are gonna go eat at the restaurant maybe seeing it in person will convince me to give it a try.

windrider99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by windrider99 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:29 pm

I like developing countries and warm water, so my plan is:

Dec-Feb Southeast Asia (Philippines, Viet Nam, Thailand, Indonesia) for the northeast monsoon

March-May Caribbean

June-Aug Bay Area (Have to get home sometime, despite the cold water)

Sept-Nov Brazil

rvv
Regular
Regular

Post by rvv » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:04 pm

Quit your job now! Kitebumming is the new Olympic sport! =D> =D> =D> :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Royce V
KGBswag

AJr
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AJr » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:39 pm

I just spent May 26 to July 26 in Zanzibar, Paje to be exact.

Not exactly a Trustafarian trip... I worked in Tanzania for a little over two years before moving to Zanzibar for the kite season. I speak Kiswahili so was more like a local in the village and thus was able to rent for $200 per month and spend maybe $400 per month on food. A non-local might expect expenses of $50 to 60 per day in Paje..

As for the beach, the wind was on around 80% of the time, blowing 12 to 20 knots side shore. There is a reef about 2 km off shore, with 1 to 3 meter waves and the riding conditions change drastically with the tide. Low tide brings flat water riding and high tide a considerable amount of chop, maybe 1 meter waves were the biggest that I saw. Bottom line is that Paje, Zanzibar is a good all around beach with a Dec - Feb and June - Sept windy season.

Also, no mention of seasonal workers who can travel or instruct in their off seasons??? I met a couple of these in Zanzibar.. Also a few remote workers.
Rock and roll!!!