Maui Trip mid-Sept where to stay for kiting

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
stewart
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Maui Trip mid-Sept where to stay for kiting

Post by stewart » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:01 am

Hi guys,

I have a general question regarding kiteboarding in Maui. My wife wants to kite while we are there. She kites 2-3 times a year and can sometimes stay upwind. She really likes the layout of La Ventana beach wise. Is there a spot in Maui like that? Kite Beach? Or down by Kihei? I was reading some of the descriptions around Kihei and it seems like its a more intermediate advanced spot. Alhtough they do lessons in south Kihei.

What do you guys think? Need to narrow down so we can book rooms....

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Re: Maui Trip mid-Sept where to stay for kiting

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:45 am

I would say no to kiting Kihei for her. Kite beach will be the best spot, its not really beginner friendly either unfortunately. There is an eddy near the launch that is tricky for the less experienced. She can probably handle it, just scope out the launch and try to understande the site.

Good news is if you stay near Kihei its only 20min from kite beach. I would recommend that.
stewart wrote:Hi guys,

I have a general question regarding kiteboarding in Maui. My wife wants to kite while we are there. She kites 2-3 times a year and can sometimes stay upwind. She really likes the layout of La Ventana beach wise. Is there a spot in Maui like that? Kite Beach? Or down by Kihei? I was reading some of the descriptions around Kihei and it seems like its a more intermediate advanced spot. Alhtough they do lessons in south Kihei.

What do you guys think? Need to narrow down so we can book rooms....
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

MehYam
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by MehYam » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:22 am

When I went last spring, we found cheap condos near the aquarium (by Haycraft Park) - they seemed a little cheaper than other places, and they're right in the middle of all the kite spots, so it's relatively quick to drive to any of them - Kite Beach was like 15 min away, Kihei 10 min, etc.

stewart
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by stewart » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:13 pm

Thanks for you help guys, we'll check it out.