Guess this spot

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
stompdit
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Guess this spot

Post by stompdit » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:44 am

Lake Crowley?

jowall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jowall » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:34 pm

Sloughslut: Yes, them's high mountains, 6,000+ ft

Aloha, you got it. Definitely CA's best kept secret, I was the only person on the water! 3 hour session to myself. Was a weekday though....

I did a 2 week boating & camping road trip and Lake Isabella was the intentional stop for some kiting. 1500 miles in CA in 2 weeks!

Here's the report on Isabella. It's about an hour East of Bakersfield. Summertime thermal winds. On day 1, winds were light, launched kite but had to pull my center lines to keep it in the air. Since going downwind would have meant my family boating over to fish me out of the water, bagged it. Next day light winds at lunchtime: this is promising. It blew butter winds from 2-6. I'd guess about 23 mph with lulls of 22 and gusts of 25. Warm clean water, small wind swell, warm winds. Very nice. Some rocks on shore, so stay out of the shallow stuff.

You can camp right on the shore for $10. We camped at a campground, Pioneer Point. Free showers were nice. Not that much to do around there besides boating, rafting but it's down to earth and not expensive. Plenty hot. When I was pulling the boat of out water, I saw fighter jets overhead and the woman next to me said the air force trains there b/c the terrain most resembles Afghanistan. She had a point.

dealbst
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dealbst » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:10 pm

Lake Merrit.

spvone
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by spvone » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:30 pm

good post. =-

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:48 am

"butter winds"

I've been there as a kid w/ my old man when he was a windsurfer and it cranked heavy gusts for hours... scared the shit out of me @!.
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -