confused about first Kiting gear to get.

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
rocketdoctor
Contributor
Contributor
confused about first Kiting gear to get.

Post by rocketdoctor » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:00 pm

Im looking to purchase my first kite/board on a limited budget (aren't we all?) anyway Ive had so many different opinions on the gear to get. some kiters say I shouldn't spend alot of money on my first kite since I'll trash it during my learning phase. Others say don't buy used since you just don't know how the kite was handled before. Kiters say don't buy anything older that 2010 since all the new advancements. Other say 2007 bow kites in good condition are just fine for beginners.

dazed and confused

spvone
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: confused about first Kiting gear to get.

Post by spvone » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:01 pm

Used. 2010 or newer and you'll be fine.

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:13 pm

Spovne is correct, get something in decent used condition thats no more than 2-3 years old max. You will learn quicker and be safer as kite technology has improved a lot over the years. good luck!!
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

ddubwinokur
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ddubwinokur » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:28 am

Sure, I'll weigh in here as well. Here's the output advice (which agrees w/previous commenters):

- Buy used. It is WAY cheaper. Have you seen how much new gear costss???
- Buy recent. Newer kites are much safer and easier to fly on. I fly 2008 kites and just flew a 2012, and there was a HUGE difference. I recommend going no later than 2010, and aim for as recent as possible.
- Depending on your speed taking up the sport, you may/may not wreck your first gear. I didn't, but I'm a cautious guy. Also, many types of Kite damage can be repaired easily.
- You first kite should probably be a big one, depending on your size. For most this means an 11, 12 or 14. I got an 11 first and I weigh 180 pounds.
- Remember: Bars are expensive too. you DON'T need a separate bar for each kite. Generally, many different kite models from the same manufacturer will all work with the same bar. So if you buy a kite and bar now, you will probably be semi-locking yourself into that brand for the foreseeable future.
- Consider caution kites out of santa cruz. They have some really cheap, new gear available. and I've heard great things about them, although I'm never actually used it!

Good luck.
DW
Last edited by ddubwinokur on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

ddubwinokur
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ddubwinokur » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:29 am

Oh, get a used board, too. The board is definitely going to get beaten up, and there are lots of used ones available, and you probably won't be able to feel the difference of a great board until you build some skills. Start with a twin tip board, not a surfboard (directional). Also, bigger board sizes will be better for a beginner.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:14 pm

@rocketdr.

you anywhere near Santa Cruz? If so, you are welcome to demo my Caution gear as well as my SBow kites from Starkites.

Honestly, the Cautions are great but not a great first kite. They are pretty fast and the relaunch, while good, is not as good as bow kites. The build quality is bomber and prices are great but they can be a real hand-full if you don't have your kite skills dialed.

The SBow v5's that I have are super stable, relaunch almost automatically, drift forever, and have huge depower (like most bow kites). They are great first kites, and actually great all around freeride kites. I only left the brand because I wanted a specific set of performance traits for the north coast.

Anyway, you are welcome to try any of them. Also have about 8 different boards you are welcome to try. (SBow's could be for sale if...)

FWIW

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:53 pm

find someone you trust who is a veteran kiter and run your purchasing decisions by them. don't buy a kite from them, but ask them for their opinion on various kites/offers. they will be able to tell you if it's a good deal or not and if it's a good beginner kite or not.

I say, "don't buy a kite from them" because whenever somebody sells you a kite, they have a conflict of interest, they want to get rid of their kite and make some money and don't have your best needs in mind. Sure, most folks won't sell you crap, but you're still better off with an unbiased opinion. Unfortunately, the manufacturer blurb doesn't help either as all manufacturers claim that all kites are great for everything.

some 2008 kites were awesome, some were terrible. some 2010 kites were great for experts, and horrible for beginners. unfortunately, there's no guarantee. I'd say, 2010 or newer and make sure it's NOT a C kite or a Race kite. Also, look at the places you plan to kite, and stick with a brand that's popular at that beach. That way, when something breaks or you have gear questions, you can ask those folks.

feel free to PM me if you want my opinion on a kite...i promise not to try to sell you any of mine....but I turnover a lot of gear so I have a pretty solid feel for what things are worth on the second hand market.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:59 pm

Thats about the best advice i have head yet..
Ask around a lot.

adamrod wrote:find someone you trust who is a veteran kiter and run your purchasing decisions by them. don't buy a kite from them, but ask them for their opinion on various kites/offers. they will be able to tell you if it's a good deal or not and if it's a good beginner kite or not.

I say, "don't buy a kite from them" because whenever somebody sells you a kite, they have a conflict of interest, they want to get rid of their kite and make some money and don't have your best needs in mind. Sure, most folks won't sell you crap, but you're still better off with an unbiased opinion. Unfortunately, the manufacturer blurb doesn't help either as all manufacturers claim that all kites are great for everything.

some 2008 kites were awesome, some were terrible. some 2010 kites were great for experts, and horrible for beginners. unfortunately, there's no guarantee. I'd say, 2010 or newer and make sure it's NOT a C kite or a Race kite. Also, look at the places you plan to kite, and stick with a brand that's popular at that beach. That way, when something breaks or you have gear questions, you can ask those folks.

feel free to PM me if you want my opinion on a kite...i promise not to try to sell you any of mine....but I turnover a lot of gear so I have a pretty solid feel for what things are worth on the second hand market.
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

Col.kiteman
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Col.kiteman » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:20 pm

Yeah i think we can all agree that newer kites are better designed easier to relaunch etc etc. but i would disagree with the general statement of newer kites being safer and easier fly. Absolutely a new lightly used kite is more dependable than an older kite in a questionable condition. Not only does and older setup have a higher probability of having worn bridles, pullys, lines, chicken loop etc,which could pose a huge danger to everyone including the green sailor just getting into the sport, but 99% of the time the beginner (i was one of those guys hellbent on getting in on the cheap btw) cant identify potential hazards that can cause a catastrophic failiures that can get you hurt.
Now i also think that a brand new north vegas is a heck of alot tougher to learn on and more dangerous than a 4 year old bowkite in good shape. Those c kites have little range, very little depower and can loft you a lot easier if you mishandle the kite and fly it too fast across 12 o clock. As a whole, most new kites are safer design but not everysingle new kite is suited for a beginner
With that said, if this is a sport you want to commit to and have the capital, then jump on a lightly used kite from a reputable dealer. Theres a couple offhand that i recomend for a no bs sale. Pm for more info. Craigslist can be risky if you dont know what to look for. Also when it comes to choosing that lightly used kite i personally would lean twords a demo kite as opposed to a school kite. 9 times out of 10 you have experienced kiters on the demos as opposed to a school kite that probably sees alot more sun (enemy) and abuse. Those can be used and abused moreso than the demos. Of course theres always exceptions. Bottom line, get with a reputable dealer if you want to get put on a safe kite thats dependable and suited for your needs. Good luck

Col.kiteman
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Col.kiteman » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:31 pm

Damn. I must be a slow typer. Adamrod pretty much posted what i was typing. Good advice. Thats what a solid d- (passing grade:) in typing class back in high school takes u.