The Future of Bay Area Kiteboarding.com

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
le noun
Old School
Old School
Re:

Post by le noun » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:16 am

jwest21 wrote:Thanks for all your contributions, Ollie. I'm sure that I'm not alone amongst all the kiting nerds on this site in saying that any one of us would be happy to help step up and take over any and all aspects of this great site.

Who knows what kind of trouble I would have gotten myself into if it weren't for this forum to help guide me toward a safe and smart way to learn kitesurfing. For the next few years, we'll need all the help we can to keep this sport focused on being safe yet stoked, as the flood gates open out upon our precious launch sites.
+1
How about some moderators to help you on the day to day?
Site would still be yours, but some of us could help? :P
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

tomerp
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: The Future of Bay Area Kiteboarding.com

Post by tomerp » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:43 am

Thanks for the site it is a great resource. What are you hosting this on? is this a dedicated server or shared? Is this a straight out of the box phpBB or did you heavily customize it, etc? What are your needs and what is making it a lot of work to host (what are your daily, weekly, monthly,etc tasks). If you want to share with us we may be able to help... with more info...

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:14 pm

Ollie, we are deeply grateful for all you have done for this community - Let us know how we can help going forward to preserve the valuable resource that it is

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:24 pm

Its been such an excellent resource for the community! Who know what the site may be in 10 more years... or maybe 50 years.

Put it on Ebay
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:14 pm

I think it's fair to say that a good reason the kiting community here in the Bay Area is cohesive and in general positive can be attributed to Ollie's efforts to provide a place to exchange info, opinions, news and to get right down to it values....leading to a common approach to issues and problems we come up against on a day to day basis.

I for one shortened my learning curve about what to do or maybe even more importantly what not to do by checking in on the forum and using the resources about the local spots.

Not without controversy from time to time, but life would be boring if we didn't have a few of those in the mix.

All of this increased the fun factor of something that's incredibly fun to begin with......and I've always had the feeling that Ollie did this was because he thought the site contributed to that, and not because of any simple self-serving motive. Hats off to him for what he's done and for thinking in advance about ways to keep it going.

I know I keep repeating myself, but thanks Ollie.

John Weaver

nick_80044
Regular
Regular

Post by nick_80044 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:27 pm

Just want to add my agreement to the eloquent statements already made about how great and helpful this site has been and how much we all owe thanks to Ollie for his supreme efforts over the years. I hope that some way, somehow, we can keep on keepin' on here.

kitet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitet » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:16 am

Aloha wrote:Ollie, we are deeply grateful for all you have done for this community - Let us know how we can help going forward to preserve the valuable resource that it is
+1

wimboweb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by wimboweb » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:00 am

Ollie,

for the past couple of years, I 've been feeling like you...

I've had 12 great years of fun, discovering a new sport and - through it - getting to know some great people and some not so great...

All in all, a lot of fun ::)

But as with all things, we change and grow and no-thing stays the same.

Perhaps - in the future - we'll see each other on the water, perhaps somewhere else, but I'm sure that you will find other avenues of Fun, of Self-discovery and the balance you seek in your existence.

Enjoy your life!!! :::)

buckler12m
Contributor
Contributor

Post by buckler12m » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:24 am

Thanks Ollie, I haven't found a better overall resource on the web to learn about kiting, understanding technique, judging local conditions, and even safety.

The knowledge share on this site has everything to do with the great people in the area taking advantage of a community and forum you have provided for us.

In the past year, I have spent every day on this site, reading nearly every post, and have to attribute some of the big leaps in my improved skills and now big air to the information I absorb here on a daily basis.

If there is anything that we can do to make sure this will be available for others for the long haul, please let us know!

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:46 am

In addition to the kudos above, I think it's important to recognize one of the key things that makes BAK what it is. When(ever) things get silly, out of hand, personal or we otherwise step out of line, Ollie chimes in with the voice of reason. He does so in such a cool manner and with respect. That's what makes BAK the community that it is.

That, and the lack of any corporate/company agenda.

Thanks Ollie!

Kirk out