Beginner areas other than Alameda

San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding lessons, learning and support.
TheSwede
Joey
Joey
Beginner areas other than Alameda

Post by TheSwede » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:00 am

Hey,

I'm a beginner who've done my lessons, bought my gear, and now want to practice on my own. I did the lessons at 3rd ave, but I don't feel too comfortable doing my first solo ride in the middle of 50+ other kiters on a weekend, so I'd like to start somewhere less crowded and more beginner-friendly.

However, it seems like Alameda is done for summer - there hasn't been enough wind to ride there the last couple of weekends.

Any suggestions on other areas in the vicinity that are beginner-friendly and has better summer wind? Sherman Islands seems to be bad if you don't go upwind consistently yet, and I understand it has a somewhat sketchy launch? I've read conflicting opinions about Bodega Bay as a beginner spot, is it worth driving there?

Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated!

mrnofear
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Re: Beginner areas other than Alameda

Post by mrnofear » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:35 am

Down-winder is a great option. It was great for me in the beginning.
KITES: Ozone C4 9m
KITES: North Rebel 9m & 11m
BOARDS: Nobile NHP & T5
WETSUIT: NPX Assassin
HARNESS: Naish Cartel

tomerp
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by tomerp » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:31 am

Schedule like 2-3 downwinders (one per week, to let your muscle memory enough time to capture the experience) with the good folks at Sherman so that you get your board skill dialed.

Then go to bodega when the wind is good and the tide is high. Book a room in bodega bay lodge with your GF/Wife and practice the whole weekend there. Work on launching and upwinding.

Then consider going to Sherman on weekday when there is less people and ask someone for a supervised launch IF you feel you got better.

And remember - if things get sketchy - let go of the bar and punch out. Oh and use latest, new and safe gear. Dont buy cheap deals. Not worth the risk.
TheSwede wrote:Hey,

I'm a beginner who've done my lessons, bought my gear, and now want to practice on my own. I did the lessons at 3rd ave, but I don't feel too comfortable doing my first solo ride in the middle of 50+ other kiters on a weekend, so I'd like to start somewhere less crowded and more beginner-friendly.

However, it seems like Alameda is done for summer - there hasn't been enough wind to ride there the last couple of weekends.

Any suggestions on other areas in the vicinity that are beginner-friendly and has better summer wind? Sherman Islands seems to be bad if you don't go upwind consistently yet, and I understand it has a somewhat sketchy launch? I've read conflicting opinions about Bodega Bay as a beginner spot, is it worth driving there?

Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated!

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:33 am

Down-winder is a great option. It was great for me in the beginning.

i've stopped suggesting downwinders at sherman as a beginner option. too many beginners getting hurt when they launch on a 12 in the middle of a day and then try to come ashore in the evening when it's blowing 30+.

go to 3rd. go early, or go during the week. it's honestly not that crowded, and those "crowds" are really just large groups of potential friends who can help you if you get in trouble.

i'd rather have 50 friends kiting nearby than be all alone. especially as a beginner.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by etxxz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:38 am

down winders at sherman, i forgot how much it costs for the boat ride. that's pretty fun and easy. One of these is enough water time to learn to stay upwind.

You can also go to 3rd on a weekday. Take off from north launch. Come in south launch IF you can't stay upwind. Try your best, walk back up the path if needed be. One or a few of these and youre set. I'm sure having learned there, you know about the troubles of coming into south launch.

i learned on the coast where wind always brought me back to shore. The only way to stay off the beach is the go upwind away from the beach. yes you have to deal with chop and water in your face nose and throat, but its a sweet victory once you get it. I wrecked my first kite.

buckidge
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by buckidge » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:24 pm

tomerp wrote:Book a room in bodega bay lodge with your GF/Wife and practice the whole weekend there. Work on launching and upwinding.
Can someone explain what launching and upwinding with my GF is supposed to entail? It sounds like fun. Can I try at home or do I need a room at bodega bay lodge?
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are built for"