[Coast] Tomales Bay

Information about San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding locations and guidelines.
OliverG
Old School
Old School
[Coast] Tomales Bay

Post by OliverG » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:49 am

Welcome to bayareakiteboarding.com
San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding safety, access, information, reviews, forums, and classifieds.

Image - Tomales Bay

Visit the Tomales Bay Website.

Tomales is good in winter and early spring on the West side of the bay mid day for steadier winds and some
warmth, check the sand bar just North of Inverness N. or S. winds 10-25. Kiting from "grassy point" on the East side is do-able in spring on N.W. clearing winds 10-25, watch for building wind which can blowout at
30+. Summer is usually dead. Some good Fall days.

sailfree
Contributor
Contributor

Re: [Coast] Tomales Bay

Post by sailfree » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:18 pm

Saw kiters on the way to Point Reyes, just North of Inverness where Sir Francis Drake Blvd veers inland. Flat water with white caps, I estimate the wind was 15-20kt. There is a sandy beach there, but the launch might be a bit sketchy with very little space and a lot of families/trees. Probably the best bet is to bring an anchor for self-launch/land.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=21 ... 3,0.001742[/googlemap]

Bone
Joey
Joey

Post by Bone » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:38 am

I work in Inverness and have been Kiting on the bay 2-3 times a week this season. I launch off of the beached Boat and move upwind in-between Millerton Point and the Yacht Club. Conditions can sometimes be gusty, but I believe this is only helping out my skills. The wind generally turns on around 12 and is good until about 5 or 6. April-June i was primarily on my 8m and ive been on my 10m since.

It sounds like the kiter Sailfree is referring to must have launched off of Chicken Ranch Beach to the north of where I launch. I dont like launching there due to the wicked cross wind that comes down the canyon to the west. Wind conditions are fine once you are out on the water, but launching can be hairy.

If you are coming out to Tomales Bay from the 101 corridor, I suggest going to Millerton Point and launch from there. Its a short walk from the parking lot out to the launch site, but the wind is cleaner on the east side of the bay than the west side. There is very little chop @ this location because of Millerton Point, the cove just to the south of Millerton is all butter, but there are some 2-3ft rollers in the channel. When is blowing over 20 there are no wind holes, however there is a hole that can develop behind the high point of Millerton when its blowing less than 20.

I have found the windsensor @ Marshall (KCAMARSH2) on Windalert to be useless for Tomales Bay (the wind direction is broken and windspeeds look much gustier than actual) I tend to use Wundermap on weatherunderground.com; the sensor @ Tomales Bay Oyster Company (KCAMARSH3) is much more informative, but i would still add a few knots to its readings.

The sensor up near Grassy Point (Blake's Landing Farms - KCAMARSH5) is a reliable sensor but does not have Gust data. This is the place that most experienced kiters/windsurfers go to; the wind is much cleaner, but i don't really like the launch. Bring booties for Barnacles/broken glass/old fishing gear.

There is another potential launch spot at Marconi Cove, but I have not tried it yet.

I would love to see more Kiters out on the bay! I'm all alone out here! I really love kiting out of Inverness. The water is warm & if you are still a beginner its a nice safe place to learn because the water is shollow enough to stand in less than a +5 tide. After your session you can grab some Oysters and a fine beers at 'Saltwater', a new restaurant in Inverness that ROCKS!

mandyqiuxie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mandyqiuxie » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:37 am

Hi~ is millerton cove tide dependent? Can you kite there when it's low tide?
-Mandy