Visitor to SF: July 29 – Aug 5th (Questions)

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Stinky
Joey
Joey

Post by Stinky » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:18 am

Hi all,

Gonna be in town for a week and would like to do some riding while I‘m there. I’ve been lurking on the forum for a couple of weeks, reading up on spot info and etiquette and the like, just have a couple of questions. I am an intermediate wave rider and ride a strapless surfboard 90% of the time. I’ll be spending time at any launch to observe before I ever pick up a pump.

I’d like to ride an intermediate suitable wave spot if possible (Ocean Beach?), as well as 3rd Ave. If possible, I’d like to take a session at Chrissy but only if conditions are at their most favorable in terms of ebb, floods and currents… If I don’t ride there this time around I won’t be heartbroken. I need more time on my raceboard anyway and this is more good incentive. Sherman is on my list too but this isn’t strictly a kite vacation, as sad as that sounds.

Should I bring a 4/3 for the ocean and a long sleeve-shorty for the Bay? How about kites? If I only bring two should I go 10 and 12 or 8 and 10? (Or 8, 10 and 12? Hahaha…) They’re 2012 North Rebels, wide wind range, great upwind kites.

Any input is appreciated – thanks. %$
Last edited by Stinky on Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

behindThePeak
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Visitor to SF: July 29 – Aug 5th (Questions)

Post by behindThePeak » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:31 am

welcome.

what's your weight? what size board?

IMHO: 8 and 10 unless you're a big dude or ride a little potato chip board

i'm comfortable in a 3/2 in ocean and bay this time of year, and pull out the 4/3 for longer sessions.

consider Waddell or Tomales if you're looking for wave riding, could be worth the drive for some x-shore spots.

Stinky
Joey
Joey

Post by Stinky » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:55 am

Thanks appreciate your advice and oops: Left that part out - I'm about 178 pounds and will be bringing a pretty light 5'8" quad bamboo.. (North WHIP).

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:19 am

If you plan to hit the coast (Wadell), which you should!, bring the 4/3 and the 8m. Smaller kite if you have it. I'm seriously powered up on my 7m and 5'6" FireWire.

Fwiw

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Post by kitenaked » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:42 pm

Kite Naked demo at Sherman from 1-5.

Come out..
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:34 pm

8/10

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:19 am

I would definitely bring the 12/8. This time of year I am mainly on my 12M for riding in the bay. It gives you the biggest range which is nice when you travel. The coast has been fussy... OB is very challenging, strapless OB for your first time (at OB) is next to impossible unless you are advanced.... you should go to Dillon.

The money question.... where are you from, where do you ride?
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

Stinky
Joey
Joey

Post by Stinky » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:04 am

Really appreciate all your input and suggestions. I'm a Great Lakes guy, I live in Toronto. I drive to kite the best waves I can find on Lake Ontario, Lake Huron, Lake Erie and Georgian Bay. These are large bodies of water and there can be 10 footers on really good days, but this is relative, we're talking about front driven wind swell on (Great) Lakes. So far, I've done all my ocean riding in the Carib, Maui is probably my next kite trip. I know that the waves I ride don't pack anywhere near the punch that Pacific Ocean waves do; I'm still a bit unaware of how gnarly it will be this time of year. My smallest kite is a 6m, I ride it every chance I get, though my favourite kite size and wind strength is 8m.

behindThePeak
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by behindThePeak » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:46 pm

bring a mouth-guard stinky; those OB waves pack a hell-of-a punch. :-)

summer time is typically our mellow season for waves so unless there's a freak storm or a south swell on tap you'll likely find smaller, softer surf. but still much longer period than you're used to. even the ankle slappers can roll ya across the ocean floor with a vengeance if they've been racing here all the way from Alaska.

OB is known as one of the heaviest waves in California so be prepared. It's worth the experience, but the other spots mentioned above have more user-friendly bathymetry about them so you should mix it up for the full experience. lots of variation here.

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:03 pm

What is your biggest kite? Ocean Beach has been big kite conditions recently ... 12M day some 16M days