Can you Kiteboard during the winter?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
gman100
Joey
Joey
Can you Kiteboard during the winter?

Post by gman100 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:30 pm

Currently I wakeboard a lot and winter riding is usually the best because you pretty much have the water to yourself and the water is glass, due to the lack of wind.

Does this mean kiteboarding during the winter is not good cause there is no wind (with the exception of when a storm come to town)?

It's sometimes hard to find people to wakeboard with during the winter so I am taking up kiteboarding, but want to make sure I can do that during the winter.

all year long kiter

winter time kiting

Post by all year long kiter » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:26 pm

You sure can kite in the winter, mostly during storms and the clearing winds that follow. I try to kite every month of the year, and here in the bay, it's not that difficult - unless we have a great snow year and I love the pow.....

If you need someone to wakeboard with in the winter, I"m happy to help.

Good winds, Zeev.

kitebored
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitebored » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:34 pm

word.. i'll chip in for gas and wear a wetsuit to wakeboard in the winter...

Winter's Cool

Post by Winter's Cool » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:42 am

This past winter - December - 12 sessions; January - 3 sessions; February - 8 sessions; March - 12 sessions.

YES - you can definitely kite year round in the Bay Area. However, you need to be really flexible. Daylight hours are in short supply. The wind may only blow for an hour or two, and it may require some gas and miles to get there.

Also, definitely plan on getting everything you own soaking wet in the rain. I don't mind being on the water while it's raining, but the pre-session setup and post session take down is a real drag. Changing in and out of a wetsuit on a cold, windy, rainy winter day sure isn't fun.

But hey - no crowds!!!