Why do manufactures try to make 5th's so complicated??

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
dewey
Old School
Old School
Why do manufactures try to make 5th's so complicated??

Post by dewey » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:25 am

So what is it with manufactures?? How simple of a concept is it?? Run a extra line to the center of the kite (or attachment points) to your bar, add stopper balls, attach leash...your done right?? What's up with the marketing for something so simple? They call it a different system and charge $100+ dollars for a extra line? I've seen the North, Slingshot, Naish, Best,Takoon, and Globe Rider 5th's. They don't look like they put to much R&D into it. Is it just a way for manufactures to make some extra dough?? Or am I just over simplifying it all??
Dewey

sflinux
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sflinux » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:37 am

I agree with you Dewey. The simplest setup works like a champ. I made my custom 5 line inspired by the following website:
www.herschers.com
-bric

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:01 am

Bric,
Do you have tension on your 5th?? I left a little bit of slack in mine. Will a bit of tension make the V4 fly better??
Dewey

consumer
Regular
Regular

Post by consumer » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:28 am

its better if you have like a 5th element style 5th line setup(Naish and a million other companies got it), because when you reel in the 5th, you dont have to worry about tangling up your front lines. Or if you have a stopper ball on it theres less to worry about when it travels up.

the main issue i think has to do with grip, if you just had straight dyneema or spectra line to the sheeting strap its kind of hard to grip when the kites powered to pull it towards you if you want to relaunch.

All it is though is like an extra long leader for your sheeting strap, and you have a 5th line leader running parallel to that, its kinda stupid to charge 100$ for about 5x2 meters of leader.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:15 am

consumer wrote:its better if you have like a 5th element style 5th line setup(Naish and a million other companies got it), because when you reel in the 5th, you dont have to worry about tangling up your front lines. Or if you have a stopper ball on it theres less to worry about when it travels up.

the main issue i think has to do with grip, if you just had straight dyneema or spectra line to the sheeting strap its kind of hard to grip when the kites powered to pull it towards you if you want to relaunch.

All it is though is like an extra long leader for your sheeting strap, and you have a 5th line leader running parallel to that, its kinda stupid to charge 100$ for about 5x2 meters of leader.
But I've see these twist around the extra long leader line and become useless. I've only seen it happen a few times, but it happened on both North and Naish kites. I think Zeev was asking about it in another post. Do either of those systems have a spinning attachment between the leader and the depower strap? I like what north is comming out with. looks to be a 2 camcleats back to back. That way you could make on the fly adjustments to the 5th. One of the guys at Sherman has a takoon setup with this feature. It seems to make it very simple, and more effective.

Dewey

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:14 am

Its all simple until you try making a spinning leash. Then it becomes complex. I know that from building my own bars. I have not seen a really good solution so far. Most bars make the main line spin around the 5th when you spin the bar, which is not a great idea.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:14 am

I think the slingshot surefire spreader bar should fix spins. I have my leash connected to the 5th the same way it was connected before. To the spinning collar above the c-loop. I'm thinking the SS spreader will be the solution.
Dewey