Favorite bar?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite bar?

Post by jjm » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:27 pm

Wondering what everyone's favorite bar is (past, present, future?) and why?

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:02 pm

I like the "Eject" chicken loop quick release on the WW B-Safe bar. I think it's funny that it says "Eject" on it in large letters.

Every time I have had to ditch my kite, a voice in my head goes "EJECT, EJECT!".

It is very easy to find with your hand when you are underwater or flying through the air, and you don't have to look at it to activate it.

I like my other bar, a Powerlock, but the chicken loop QR is ridiculously small and not intuitive at all to use. I do wonder why other companies don't sheath their chicken loops though, as it seems like this is an easy way to prevent wear and reduce or eliminate the possibilty of the CL breaking during use.

I also prefer the Cabrinha style sheet strap to the WW/SS camcleat, although I'm sure each one has it's supporters. For me, doing minute adjustments with the Clamcleat takes way too much care. I use the sheet strap alot, changing the sheeting each time I tack to compensate for the wind/wave direction. WIth the Camcleat I just leave in a compromise position and use the sheeting on the bar.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:19 pm

So Paul your WW bar is okay now?? I like the idea of the cc bar, but I'm getting nervous every time I take it out. The line is already looking frayed, and the pulleys are starting to make noise. If it would spin better then it would be the bomb. I like the cleat. I've always liked it.

Dewey
Dewey

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:19 pm

The Slingshot bars are killer - simple, straightforward and problem-free. No twists, excellent when used with the SS Surefire spreader bar for spinning leash. The clamcleat sheeting is simple and overall it's pretty bomber.

WW CC bars are nice for fatigue-free riding, and work best with a separate spinning leash, such as the SS Surefire. Expect increased maintenance because of the pulleys and subsequent wear on the sheeting line. Great for long sessions. Also uses a clamcleat sheeting system, which I like and prefer over strap-type sheeting systems, which can be sticky, just like your harness straps. They work best when thoroughly wet.

One thing I don't like is the common setup of the leash being attached to many kites above the chicken loop release. If you come unhooked and let go of your bar, the kite's gone. I prefer having the leash attached to your spreader bar or harness, and it needs to be spinnable as well, so the ideal solution involves something like the SS Surefire or Naish UDS. Lots of manufacturers could use help in this department from what I've noticed.

Point out other good solutions I don't know of...

Hana
Regular
Regular

Post by Hana » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:35 pm

I have a Naish basic bar and Cabrinha 05 Recon 2 bar. As I have shorter arms than most people, I have to adjust center lines otherwise I can't even reach my bar when sheeting out. My Naish bar barely has sheeting length in order for me to keep comfortable zone on my arms when I ride. But as it doesn't have any spinning attachment, when I try invert, center lines would twist each time I roll, so is safety leash. Recon 2 has its own system for the kite but I don't even use the system. What was worse, lock-in system isn't very friendly when I ride. It always locks out when I want to lock in. I think 04 bar is much better. Again I had to shorten the sheeting so that I can reach a bar when sheeting out. When I demo North kites, I really like their 5th element bar. They have nice lock-in system, plus I was very comfortable on my arms without adjusting it at all. I also liked their primary release system. I think my ideal bar set-up would be either 5th element or the combination of Cabrinha 04 bar power-lock with North primary release (chicken loop). I would also like to hear someone uses Slingshot Profire carbon bar. Does the stopper ball bother you or is it just fine?

I am still researching to find my perfect bar too. Thanks.

kitebored
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitebored » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:01 pm

my fav bar is the best carbon bar. Mainly because it's so simple, and because most pieces are modifyable to make the sheeting system and leash that's best for me.

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:48 pm

Hands down...

The 2 AM Club.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:00 am

Like:
Airush ñ the components are top quality. I actually replaced component of other bars with airush components because they are just nicer and work better. The quick releases I don't like that much, you need a lot of force to pull them.

Flysurfer ñ live up to their name in quality. Out of the fact that they are top manufacturing and look like $M, they are tested by the same guys that test the aviation equipment. I just trust them more.
Spinning leash on these bars is a nice and simple design, the leash is not on the chicken loop so you can fly unhooked and hook again and always be on the leash. Works with every spreader bar, No special spreader bars required thanks god.
Problem is that the stock bars are sometimes short and you have to replace them.
Unfortunately you cannot use those bars with inflateables, it's a three line kite bar with its own safety. May work with recon kites.

Sligshot ñ I like the little tube that protects the fingers from the depower line.

Don't like:
Naish ñ low quality, sheeting is too short and looks poor. The UDS bar looks like someone hacked it at home from stuff you buy at Home Depot.

Cabrinha ñ the older bars have the quality of Naish bars. The new bars are complicated.

Don't know ñ RRD, but will know soon

Windseeker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Windseeker » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:21 am

Ya I still love to ride my old 2003 Cabrinha bars.... simple, solid and the powerlock works like a charm. Saves a lot of energy not having to hold the bar in all the time.

But I do agree with Pablito, the chicken loop QR is way too small to find in a hurry. But the chicken loop sheathing does work wonders... I have a couple of 03 bars that have been worked hard and other than sun fading look like they are brand new.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:09 am

KillaHz wrote:Hands down...

The 2 AM Club.
Yeah, boyyyy....

Ben & Nicks in the EB is not bad also....