5th line and tangles/spins

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Eager student
5th line and tangles/spins

Post by Eager student » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:33 pm

I'm new to 5th line and love the depower, turn radius and relauch when you let your bar go....my challenge: the 5th line gets tons of twists in it - even though I do all my rotations in opposites (for each forward, do a back, etc.)...

So, who has tips on how to:
1. Take out spins in 5th line
2. Put your lines away so that spins don't happen?

I use a North 5th element bar/lines.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Good winds, Zeev.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:22 pm

I'm setting up my bar for a 5th line, but it's nothing like the north. I saw that the naish lines can get a lot of twist in it to.

Dewey
Dewey

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:06 am

I guess after you land at the end of the day you can put the kite and bar on the ground, and spin the chicken loop until there are less wraps (spin the chicken loop inside the bar). This way you will get the tangles out and when you roll the lines there will be less tendency to tangle when you roll and unroll the lines.

The Flysurfer bars have similar idea, when the kite spins and you spin the bar to straighten the lines the center line stays twisted. Not as big problem as 5th line bars because itís a 3 line bar, but once in a while you have to straighten the center line in the method mentioned above. I think they say no more than 40 spins. Probably much less for 5th line bars because you have the center line and the 5th spun around each other.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:23 am

It's taken me a little getting used to with the Type Wave bar, but I think I have it dialed in now. Not sure if it's similiar to the North bar though, because the RRD bar has the 5th line running through the bar pully and the end is attached to a little plastic red ball that you can rotate around as needed.After running out the normal 4 lines on the beach and hooking them up I run the 5th line out in between the left and right pairs and in front of everything. I know it goes without saying that then you're starting clean with no twists.

Out on the water, it seems like the key is to stay on top of it and correct your twists from spins right away. If I do a forward I can correct it by either spinning (overhead loop) the kite or doing a back rotation. Here's where it can get tricky. After I come out of any rotations, back or forward, I always spin the bar, straightening out my steering lines and leaving the center lines twisted. So do a forward, land, spin bar, centerlines twisted, do a back, spin bar, centerlines straight.

I have had to just do a bunch or rotations in either direction sometimes to sort things out, but I guess that only thing I could offer is to start out from the beach clean and stay on top of it throughout your session to avoid the twisties...

kitebored
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitebored » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:53 am

i'm on ollie's team with that one...i just unspin myself....

additionally, i have a non-spinnable leash, so it tells me which direction and how many spins i need to sort everything out.