Sherman Upwinders -- Sherman to ???

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Pablito(guest)
Sherman Upwinders -- Sherman to ???

Post by Pablito(guest) » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:15 pm

Okay, so we know a good downwinder from SI.

What's the farthest upwind anyone has gone on a kite from the beach on an ebb tide? Has anyone ever made it to Collinsville, a tiny town on the Solano County side several miles upwind? How about Suisun? Dewey, you ever try to kite home?

When I was a kid, my swim team used to swim across Long Island Sound once a year (2 miles, I think), then have lunch and swim back.

It might be a cool event to start out at the beginning of a long ebb, go upwind until flood starts, then stop for lunch and head back downwind on the flood. See how far everyone gets.

With a support boat, of course, like those downwinders across the bay. And I vote to have the guy who cooked on Sat. for the Naish BBQ do the cooking again.

Pablito

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:24 am

ive been to Collinsville,
on my polesurfer years ago, good fun lots to do and see.
on my kite i like to go up to kitetopa!
charlie

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:17 am

I've never ventured to far upwind. Sounds like fun. I'm puttingn a 5th line on my kites to help with relaunch. Maybe I'll see where the wind takes me. I hear there are some nice areas around kitopia.

Sunday one of the guys went way past kitopia. Everyone was stunned where he ended up, but he was only gone a few hours.

Dewey
Dewey

River Explorer

upwinders

Post by River Explorer » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:06 am

I've gone past Collonsville. You are in a big body of water and need to have your A game to deal w/that. Make sure all your stuff is not wearing out - harness, chicken loop, pigtails, lines, etc. - and wear more rubber then normal, as you may be swimming for a long time.

As always, it's way more fun and safe with a buddy.

Good winds, Zeev.

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:51 am

Oh yeah, I was definitely thinking of it as a group activity.

I know someone who windsurfed from La Paz to La Ventana once with a buddy he thought was pretty together. About halfway there, the friend tore his sail, and then broke his leg trying to land the board on the beach to fix it. They lucked out because there was a fishing shack on the beach, but they spent the night and then the other guy windsurfed back to La Ventana and brought a boat back.

That stretch of river west of Sherman might be almost as isolated as the Baja coast, and we all know just about anything can happen out there.

Pablito