SFBA and RVWA/SIKO Member Ranks at BAK

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
sloughslut
Resident
Resident
Re: SFBA and Member Ranks at BAK

Post by sloughslut » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:21 pm

Thanks, I'm a RVWA member. S.S.
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:15 am

Hi Dave,

Attached is my e-mail conversation with Eric Mruz, Administrator of the Don Edwards Wildlife Refuge. I guess that location is in his jurisdiction. Though it is still rather unclear to me on the maps where the refuge ends and the bay begins. The pond that a few people have had the privilege to kite is owned by the city of San Jose as pointed out by the administrator.

We have kited this spot for approximately 2yrs. Though the pond can only be kited about 10-20 times per season as the tides don't usually allow access.

Here is the conversation:
"
THe area just outside of the triangle (owned by SJ) next to the bridge is part of CAl Trans right of way, you could check with them as well.

Eric Mruz
Refuge Manager
Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge
9500 Thornton Ave.
Newark, CA. 94560
Phone: (510)792-0222, Fax: (510) 792-5828
Email: Eric_Mruz@fws.gov
Inactive hide details for "Ramsey Shanbaky" <rshanbaky@yahoo.com>"Ramsey Shanbaky" <rshanbaky@yahoo.com>

"Ramsey Shanbaky" <rshanbaky@yahoo.com>

06/21/2011 07:03 AM

To

Eric_Mruz@fws.gov

cc

Subject

Re: Kite Boarding

Eric,

I appreciate your reply and the information. What would it take to get a legitimate launch point at that location? It seems like an unutilized area, and because of the clean wind turns out to be a really great kite spot.

I can forget about the pond for now. I will definitely talk to the San Jose Water Treatment people for more info.

Do you have a map of a clear border of the Don Edwards NWR? I got the impression that the levee road that we were launching kites from was not included, and I think that is part of the confusion.

Would we need a petition? Funding? Lobbyists? I don't know. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I think kiteboarding would only require about 100 ft X 40 ft for a launch.

Thanks,

Ramsey

----- Reply message -----
Date: Mon, Jun 20, 2011 4:20 pm
Subject: Kite Boarding
To: <rshanbaky@yahoo.com>

Ramsey,

I did speak to someone about this last year, perhaps it was you , so my apologies for not remembering. The Don Edwards NWR does not allow kite boarding, kayaking , or any other watercraft or sailing device inside the ponds. These ponds are typically very shallow and are also important for breeding and roosting in a variety of bird species. The Refuge does not allow for you to access the Bay or tidal areas for this activity from Refuge property.

The area your map is referring (triangle shape parcel) to is owned by the San Jose Water Pollution Control Plant. I have discussed this issue with them last year, and they commented that they would not be open to the idea of allowing public access through their property. However, if you are still interested in pursuing , I would try to contact them directly.

Having said that, I know that someone has entered this property and went kite boarding in the Bay. I have also seen a video on YOU TUBE which shows a kite boarder inside the ponds. This is not acceptable actions and we will take Law Enforcement action if the public is not following Refuge regulations.

So please help me spread the word to the local kite boarding folks.

I do realize that it is hard to find good access to the Bay, but as part of our restoration work, we are looking for ways to introduce the public into these restored and sensitive areas. So, while there may not be good access at this time, we will continue to add in public features where appropriate.

I would be happy to speak with you further if you have any more questions

Eric Mruz
Refuge Manager
Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge
9500 Thornton Ave.
Newark, CA. 94560
Phone: (510)792-0222, Fax: (510) 792-5828
Email: Eric_Mruz@fws.gov ""

Here is the picture I sent Eric. Ironically, it is of a hunting map. I was trying to make a subtle point, but I don't think it got communicated.
South Bay kite map.JPG
South Bay kite map.JPG (475.51KiB)Viewed 16289 times
It is unfortunate that we can't kite here because it is a great spot on strong NW winds and when 3rd is SW it typically comes in NW here. The wind is usually quite steady too because there are no building or anything upwind of the launch. When the pond is filled in there is great flatwater too. I think our impact on this spot is minimal. Out of the 100's of miles of coastline in the S. Bay I don't understand why we have to be excluded from enjoying a small part of this preserve. Actually would have been kite-able yesterday when 3rd was no good.

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Post by friggin old guy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:43 am

Was member in past but might have lapsed.....JW

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:15 am

Extra ranks mod installed, please continue to let us know if you are either an SFBA or RVWA/SIKO member.

david
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: SFBA and RVWA/SIKO Member Ranks at BAK

Post by david » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:51 am

I am RVWA/SIKO member as well

tomerp
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by tomerp » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:41 am

i became one (SFBA member) this past weekend at the SFBA coast guard bbq.. Nice Helicopter rescue demo, BTW

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:04 pm

Thanks guys, you're updated...

Captain John
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by Captain John » Mon May 14, 2012 8:34 pm

I'm a SFBA member.