Launching at Maui Action Beach

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
tomerp
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by tomerp » Wed May 09, 2012 2:21 am

Hi
Well today is my last day at Maui :(
I am glad to say i was kiting at 'Action Beach' every day for a week and did not piss any of the locals off (at least from what I know). I have to thank Nick a local kiter working for Action Sports Maui - for showing me the ropes and teaching me the secrets of the tricky launch at this beach (this is the beach with the picnic tables and the nice parking)

SInce I heard about a lot of (advanced) outsiders coming and screwing up the launch I figured id try to share the formula here for all those heading to Maui action beach. Here it is:

Launching at Action Beach, Maui

The wind is very on and off on the Action Beach launch where the picnic tables are. So it cycles from sub 10 mph to
30 and back to sub 10. Thus, kites many times fall right after launch. There are many kite eating trees near the picnic tables.

This creates for a weird situation. And this is how it is handled:

The kite must be launched in the direction of the water only (kiter stands near the trees - Kite is near the water). Otherwise it can
land on a tree (instead of the water) when the low wind part of the cycle hits.
When you launch the kite, never let go of the board, because the kite will
either fall (if on the low wind phase of the cycle) or will be overpowered (if
on the high wind phase of the cycle) and you will not be able to go back and get
the board. Once kite is launched you rush to the water. At that point, what many
times happens is there is a lull and the kite falls in the water. That is OK.
simply keep holding the board in one hand, and pull on the RED line of the kite.
This will ensure that the kite drags you and board to the outside AWAY from the beach and the trees, until you hit
the wind line and then relaunch is easy. IT IS CRUCIAL TO NOT LET GO OF THE BOARD FROM THE MOMENT THE LAUNCHER LAUNCHED YOUR KITE - no matter if you are still walking on land or if you are in the water. If you do that, and the
kite is on the water or launched and you are in the water, you will not be able to drag back to the
board (if in low wind phase of cycle) and also because you must not fly the kite towards the trees. So then you will have to self rescue and do the walk of shame and then look
for the board.

Once the kite drags you beyond the wind line (if you kept pulling on the red line correctly) just easily relaunch the kite, put on the board and merrily kite
on your way.

Summary:
Launch with the kite near the water line or above the water and you standing near the trees. Never the other way.

Hold your board first, only then launch your kite. (Not like here in california where we launch first and then run and pick up our board on the way)

Never let go of board.

Relaunch with other hand that is not holding the board and use the red line, in case the kite falls in the water

Always keep kite on the water side of the wind window.

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Wed May 09, 2012 6:32 am

What is the red line you speak of.

tomerp
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by tomerp » Wed May 09, 2012 9:15 am

tgautier wrote:What is the red line you speak of.
it's the left outside line (the line connected to the left side of the bar, when the bar is at neutral position) usually the bar is painted red on that side. Of course when the kite falls in the water leading edge down, it becomes the right outside line.