Best Kiteboarding Trip in October/November?

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
OliverG
Old School
Old School
Best Kiteboarding Trip in October/November?

Post by OliverG » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:12 pm

Best Caribbean Kiteboarding in October/November?

Can anyone with kiteboarding travel experience or knowledge weigh in on this? What is good or great? KI*&

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Best Caribbean Kiteboarding in October/November?

Post by etxxz » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:49 am

hmmmm that's like end of hurricane season so its on and off typically, then trade winds start blowing more towards the end of november through almost april. that's the season though most islands will have kiteable winds year round. where are you thinking of visiting? water is starting to cool down, but relatively speaking they are nice and warm.

robert-g
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Best Caribbean Kiteboarding in October/November?

Post by robert-g » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:23 pm

Margarita Island of the coast on Venezuela.
I had a really good time there. I didn't feel very safe when I was sightseeing around the island. I would also look at Los Roques.. I was there 15 years ago, and it was absolutely beautiful.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:56 pm

Leaning heavily toward Aruba. We've been wanting to go there for a while, it can have good winds year round, and if it's light, that's fine too. As long as we can take the kind of vacation where we can relax instead of the busy non-kiting kinds (Europe, Japan, etc...)

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:51 pm

What about Florida Keys? Anyone know about that?

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by etxxz » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:59 am

i think the later in november that you can go the more chance you'll have at winds. Margarita huh... i AM from venezuela and i guarantee you'll have a ridiculously good time in Margarita kiting or not. I'm hoping to go there sometime soon (but during wind season) as i left the country too young and never kited there.

I also lived the last 13years in south Florida SO, keys are a really good place to kite, but Oct will still tend to be on the calm side. Its not trivial to find a kiting spot in the 120mi of florida keys either. I know a few as far south as Islamorada as there are few beaches in the keys, less from which you are allowed to launch (some recent bans). I've kited on the gulf side of the keys a few times by a friend's boat dropping me off in the water. Its a dream to kite in glassy water like that. I hear there are some sick flats towards key west where you get boated out to endless 2-3ft of glassy waters and kite till you can no more. Florida in general has a lot of kiteable spots in the mainland from as far up as West Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale, Dania, Key Biscayne etc and i know just about all of them if you need tips there just lmk. i know where you can rent equipment too if needed be. But i say Oct is iffy. Nov it starts to pick up. I was there last december, damn i miss FL. My recommendation. If you do FL stay in or near miami beach. Kite there, key biscayne and if you want to try the keys, Annie's beach in islamorada 1hrish south. Whale Harbor got banned sadly. This way you close to the party and close to the kiting.

buckler12m
Contributor
Contributor

Post by buckler12m » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:51 pm

I have been to Aruba in August, which is obviously a little bit earlier than the October November timeframe, but the great thing about Aruba is the wind is pretty much guaranteed to blow over 20 mph every day due to the trade winds. It is also south of the hurricane belt making it a great place to kite any time of year.

The biggest drawback to Aruba, however is that there aren't many places to stay other than the tourist areas and from a travel perspective I have found that many of the other kiters I've met are more into the remote, simple, paradise type of trip. Aruba is anything but that.

If you're interested I can tell you about where I stayed, places to kite, etc.

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:11 pm

Puerto Rico is a great place to kite and a pretty nice place for a vacation but November through Christmas is the dead season for wind. It seems to pick up again right around New Years.

I hear Barbados is windy all year, has great food, a cool local culture, etc.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

loserdavies
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by loserdavies » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:59 am

Exuma Bahamas. Great place to ride. No waves to speak of but incredibly beautiful water and amazing flat water riding. I was there last Nov and was able to ride 6 out of 7 days. That is the start of their season. Look up Exuma kiteboarding. The owner is very cool.

sverhaar
Joey
Joey

Post by sverhaar » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:03 pm

Hey guys, I am heading out to the Nevis for 5 days of work and am doubting if I should bring my gear along. Any experience there?

Thanks!