LaVentana Mexico this winter? you can drink the water hahaha

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
la-ventana
Contributor
Contributor
LaVentana Mexico this winter? you can drink the water hahaha

Post by la-ventana » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:31 pm

For those that already come here. Kiters are out today....

Here is my laventana update. This summer in the early part we had a few man-of-wars and a few sting rays. I snorkel on average every other day. Since the early midsummer I have literally seen only a handful of man-of-wars and only one sting ray. this is unprecedented for man-of-wars. In all the other years on days when I would go for a walk you could see ten to hundreds almost every day during the summer.

this leads me to post this. I highly suggest people head on down earlier than normal to snorkel and windsurf/kite while you do not even have to wear a rash guard just a swimsuit is all that is needed to enjoy the warm 80 degree water…. The weather seems a bit nicer right now, like the high heat part has broke, It is still a bit warm down here for camping but if you can endure it I think with the great snorkeling it is worth it. And as far as bugs this is the least amount of any kind of pesky flying ones I have seen too. I have this posted at http://www.la-ventana.info and other info about the area.. dean

Next, I am helping my neighbor with his resort. He is a about 1/4 mile north of the campground 3 lots south from Captain Kirks and is beachfront. If anyone books with him in the next two weeks he will give you a 20% discount, just send this link for the discount. Long story but he is adding a new name for his resort to kite paradise for people to find him via the internet, his web traffic use to be almost nil.. http://www.kiteparadise.biz he has several pools, a game room with ping pong and pool table, a restaurant, and a bar for a complete resort.

here are some pictures of my neighbors kite paradise hotel:

http://www.kiteparadise.biz

rooms start at: $100.00 and he has a 3 bedroom suite that sleeps 8-10.

stewart
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: LaVentana Mexico this winter? you can drink the water ha

Post by stewart » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:37 am

Looks like a nice place. Looking forward to hearing some unbiased reviews.

la-ventana
Contributor
Contributor

Post by la-ventana » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:27 pm

stewart wrote:Looks like a nice place. Looking forward to hearing some unbiased reviews.
there are some very recent ones now on trip advisor. you were reading my mind, i suggested this to him a week ago and he received two recommendations from people who stayed last year.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... ornia.html

another thing, if I can ask everyones opinion. I do not want to just use my biased opinion here. But to me what this area could use is a soup and salad bar. I think I would go there 2-3 times a week if it was a reasonable price. and maybe a pasta bar. My big issue here in LaVentana is going into a place to eat and not getting anything but a small thing of chips for 2 hours after a session. this would solve the delay(blood sugar shortage), I do not mind the wait as it is a social dinner in the first place.

amazingly the owner operates a distributorship in LaPaz of a salad restaurant chain. These are very small places in LaPaz with about 6 tables. Yet he did not bring this here. I want to propose to him to do a salad bar, small plate if you order a food dish, large one trip plate for a reasonable price and a all you can eat multiple plate. Obviously he knows how to deal with keeping items clean or his chain would be out of business in LaPaz.

If people can chime in with either yes you will stop in and give it a shot. and how often you would go for it. If I get a good response I an take the numbers to him. I know most will not be reading this thread again so my bad for not asking in the first place.

la-ventana
Contributor
Contributor

Post by la-ventana » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:31 pm

The Chef is IN... Chef Alfonso is creating his art. Chef Alfonso you to be about 100 yards from me at Rafas. He has a new location at Kite Paradise. Here are some examples. A four course meal is generally $14.00. their theme is "You may not have come here for the food but you will return for the food".

http://www.kiteparadise.biz
Kite Paradise is offering a 20% discount from Jan 30 till middle of March for the rooms. must book before new years for this deal.

LVentanaPlayaCentral
Joey
Joey

Post by LVentanaPlayaCentral » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:51 am

This has been posted by one of the owners at Playa Central Kiteboarding who has teamed up with Wind Over Water Kiteboarding (Jeff Kafka) to provide one of the best valued All Inclusive Kiteboarding Vacations.

http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=b3c ... b760e535f7

stewart
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by stewart » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:09 am

la-ventana wrote:The Chef is IN... Chef Alfonso is creating his art. Chef Alfonso you to be about 100 yards from me at Rafas. He has a new location at Kite Paradise. Here are some examples. A four course meal is generally $14.00. their theme is "You may not have come here for the food but you will return for the food".
We just stayed at Kite Paradise (aka Villa Paraiso) last week. First off, Chef Alfonso is a great chef. We ate there twice and his food was very good. But, you will pay way more than $14.00. First night we got there we were informed that there had been a Blues Festival the night before so they had limited food. Chef suggested Potato Soup and Crepe's (vegetarian) with chilis. The meal cost us $18/ea plus drinks that were made by inexperienced food handlers. Chef had asked my wife that night what her favorite food was and he would make it up to her. She said Chili Relleno's.

So second night we came in for dinner to meet another couple. Chef had made some tostado/taco with carne asade and a plate with 6 chili rellenos. My wife had a margarita and white wine, the other couple each had 2 margaritas and I had 2 Bacardi/Cokes. Our bill came to $1550 pesos ($129.00). Seriously? We had trusted a fair deal from the manager and got screwed. There was no menu with no pricing so if you do stay ask before you order how much it will cost you.

We ate breakfast there once and it was $12.00/ea not $5 like had been mentioned in prior communication. And the only reason we got breakfast was we chased someone down and the girl that was cleaning the floors, etc. made it.

In our time there, there was only one other couple. They ate mostly at Las Palmas. The restaurant said it had set hours, but it didn't. We too, just left property to get breakfast and dinner.

This place has real potential, but it needs management. After the Blues Festival (Thurs night), garbage littered the property until late Monday when my wife told the manager if they didn't clean up she would.... they finally did. Part of the hotel is still under construction as well. And there equipment is lying around. I could go on about this but I think you get the point.

We stayed in a room at the bottom of the resort right on the beach. It was very nice and comfortable. The hot water heater was 6 gallon and it had a widow maker shower head. I don't think it worked properly and when I went to adjust its angle it shocked me. Our suite was also touted as having a hot tub. Basically, a small sitting pool on the balcony which has a a 10gallon water heater next to it. The pool probably could hold easily 55 gallons so this was pretty useless. I tried to fill it up once and it took over 20 minutes.

To kite here we were in the ideal spot in the resort. The lower floor next to the beach. We only had to walk out of our room and traverse a 25 degree slope of sand for about 25 yards, then carry our gear about 200 yards up the beach to Palapa Ventana / Captain Kirks. One hell of a warm up :) Carrying your gear back was even more fun...

Since we were at the bottom of the resort we had to climb 82 stairs to get to the top. And not normal stairs. Some taller than others and various widths. Pretty challenging overall. Kind of like climbing a Myan ruin.

We are glad we checked it out, but we won't be back any time soon. Unless, they actually started running this place like a resort. I think this is a good location possibly for people to come that don't kite, and when the weather is hot. The non heated pools would be nice to relax in and the views were nice.

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:39 pm

"Bay Area KiteYelping"!

Go Stewart!

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:41 pm

I have always stayed at Baja Joes and last time we mostly made our own meals in the Kitchen provided. I have tried most of the places to eat in La Ventana and I didn't think it was worth the price and the food is just ok. I can get way better Mexican food in Bay Area. I think everything is way too expensive for one dirt road town in Mexico. But I still love going there and always have a blast.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

stewart
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by stewart » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:23 am

WindMuch wrote:"Bay Area KiteYelping"!

Go Stewart!
Just trying to "Yelp" a brother out.

androka
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by androka » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:02 pm

Agree with Sonny. Baja Joe's has a nice communal vibe and cooking your own meals, especially some of the fresh caught Tuna is the way to go.