Red Lake Peak

Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
Yoda
Resident
Resident
Red Lake Peak

Post by Yoda » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:56 pm

Here's an awesome northern CA snowkiting spot that's fun for more advanced snowkiters. It's about two+ hours from Sacramento...

Red Lake Peak in the Carson Pass region on Tahoe’s south shore offers the some of the best advanced snowkiting terrain. To get there from SLT, follow the signs towards Kirkwood. Park at the designated Sno-Park parking lot on the north side (right side) of the road (permit required). Make sure to bring snowshoes for the short hike up onto the ridge behind the parking lot. From there just traverse out onto the open bowls for some of the area's best snowkiting. This area has over 1,000 feet of vertical terrain, numerous terrain features and very predictable wind.

A buddy and I kited here a couple winters ago and it was epic, but the snow was somewhat firm that day. I know some kiters that have caught it after a storm with new snow and said it was the BEST "easily accessible" spot they have found in the Tahoe area for more advanced kiters.

Snowkiting at RLP is ideal on W & SW winds and sometimes E winds. Here's a good weather link for this location...

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... tType=text

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Re: Red Lake Peak

Post by Yoda » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:28 am

With all of this new snow coming, I think it's finally time to go do some snowkiting. :dance:
The Red Lake area is looking good right now. I may head out there this week for a session... wind permitting. ;)

sstarch1
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sstarch1 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:48 am

I will be up in North Lake from Wednesday till Sunday.

Dying to do some snowkiting. We're supposed to get a foot or so throughout the week, which should be windy wit the weak storms systems coming through.
If anyone wants to meet up somewhere in North Lake, please let me know.
S

rvv
Regular
Regular

Post by rvv » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:30 pm

Good luck with that, better dig out the old skis or board if you care about your bases!
Royce V
KGBswag

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:41 pm

rvv wrote:Good luck with that, better dig out the old skis or board if you care about your bases!
I'm assuming your referring the N lake Tahoe area. A friend of mine was up near Round Top this weekend snowshoeing & backcountry snowboarding and he said the coverage was actually not too shabby. ;)
Last edited by Yoda on Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:29 pm

RLP is looking really good now on the snow coverage. Saturday is currently setting up real nice. Wind forecast is for the upper 20's with some stronger gusts in the upper 30's. I think it's time to pull the trigger and hit it up! :wink:

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:46 am

Yoda wrote:RLP is looking really good now on the snow coverage. Saturday is currently setting up real nice. Wind forecast is for the upper 20's with some stronger gusts in the upper 30's. I think it's time to pull the trigger and hit it up! :wink:
FUCK thats nuke town shit!!! Be safe and have FUN!
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:37 pm

NCKite_Ryder wrote:FUCK thats nuke town shit!!! Be safe and have FUN!
Ya... the last time I kited in winds like that, I was perfect on my 7m (in softer snow conditions). If it's blowing too strong or it's too firm to ride, then Hope Valley may be a good plan B. :wink: