Training Kite - Good Buy?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Newby
Training Kite - Good Buy?

Post by Newby » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:18 pm

Hi all, just got a gift of Kitesurfing lessons from my wife (she's the greatest) and am stoked on getting this whole adventure started. I've been thinking about getting into the sport for over a year now, and it looks as if it's really going to happen. I have a question about 2 line trainer kites (e.g. slingshot). Are they worth buying, or should I rely on the lesson to get some time with a trainer? I've heard that it's essential to take one out, but after an hour or two, you've basically mastered the 2 line kite and then need to move on to a 4 line kite for more practice. Considering the cost of all the equipment, I'd hesitate on spending $100 for a kite that will only get a few hours use.

Thoughts? Are they worth buying, or should I rely on the lessons?
Also, if you think they're worth buying, which ones would you recommend?

Thanks, Looking forward to getting out there

Rob

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:13 pm

Rob the more you practice the better you'll be with your $1000 kite. They are a lot of fun to fly too. You'll never out grow the trainer.

Dewey
Dewey

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:07 am

Rob,
If you have a friend who has one just borrow theirs. But it is worth it. Every instructor or person who currently kites will tell someone to know the trainer kite front and back. Yeah basically you can get it down in 2 hours but try this next time you are using one. Close your eyes and fly it. It's all about feel. for example once you get on the water and are ready for the board it is so much easier to "feel" the kite overhead while you put the board on your feet, rather than staring at the kite while you try to put the board on your feet.
Then once you got that down you can raise the bar even higher. Try flying the kite with your back to it. So now everything is backwards.

also you can pick up a used one on craigslist.org or on ebay for much less than $100. You don't have to get a slingshot trainer. Also you will probably using your trainer again once the wife see how much fun you are having. What about friends too?

If you have like 8 hours of trainer time (more is always better) you will move through your lessons sooo much faster. Kite skills are key.

hope that helps,

oh yeah what part of town do you live in???

Blair

Newby

Trainer it is then

Post by Newby » Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:25 pm

Dewey, Blair

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll start trolling craigslist and ebay looking for a trainer. I'd rather be overprepared for the lesson than flailing with basics with an expert standing by.

The advice about friends also got me. I'll be one of the first of my buddies to actually get started, and I know that once they see me, they're going to want to get involved. I can pass the kite down from there.

Blair, I'm in San Francisco, Inner Richmond near GG Park. I'll be heading over to Alameda for lessons, but I anticipate taking the trainer to crissy field. I've seen a few people with them there before.

Unless, of course, you all know a better spot. I'm all ears. The more information I get, the better prepared I can be, the more confident I'll feel and the more fun I will have.

Thanks all

Rob

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:25 pm

Rob I"m from sacramento so I'm not very familar with the san francisco launches. I would highly advise you asking an experienced kiter at the beach if your trainer practice will be in their(or anyone else's) way at all? Be cool with the kiters now so you don't earn a bad rep.

Blair