Help! RRD ZH!!!

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
jmarois
Joey
Joey
Help! RRD ZH!!!

Post by jmarois » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:15 pm

Hi everyone,

Greetings from Boston where summer has finally started. it seems like a lot of you ride the RRD ZH (like myself) so here's what I'm wondering:

1. I have a ZH-16 (which i really like). I need to complete my quiver. Ideally I'd get a 9 and a 12 ZH but they don't exist. Can i get away with getting an 8+13+16 quiver? or do i need the 10 too? what sizes do you guys have in your ZH quiver?

2. How the hell do you set up the ZH bar??? That thing is weird. I'd like to set it up for a 5th line safety type so I connected my leash directly to the 5th line but I found that there was too much slack in the 5th this way. Also have you guys ever tried using other 5th line bars like naish shift or north 5th element. Thinking about getting a different bar that is easier to set up.

Thanks for your help

-Jeff

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:42 pm

Jeff,

I'm sure you'll get an answer here pretty soon, so check back as we have quite a few RRD riders around. Thanks for the visit from Boston! Hope you guys are starting to get warm weather and good winds.

Ollie

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:16 pm

I ride the ZH-10, 13 and 16 and find that I'm covered. A smaller person will want the 8 (as you noted) for the really windy days. However, their range is SO good that you may find you're covered without a 10. I ride the 13 and 16 almost exclusively with the 10 only coming out of the bag for the extreme days.

There are instructions available for setting up the 5th line like you mentioned from Dave Tyburski whose done it that way. You might want to contact www.cabaldc.com for the details-- I'm pretty sure they can e-mail them to you. I haven't tried other bars on my kites personally but be aware that the length of the 5th line on the kite itself will dictate the cross-over application.

Good luck and enjoy-- these kites ROCK!

whitecap
Regular
Regular

Post by whitecap » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:16 pm

The Zh 13 has an incredible range. I pretty much use only it and the 10 type wave. I would like to figure out how to connect the fifth line to a suicide leash. I think I have figured it out, but have not yet went to implement. Any one out there with any ideas?

bob

jmarois
Joey
Joey

Post by jmarois » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:16 pm

yeah i had already talked to the cabal dc guys and they sent me all the info i needed. I did what their manual said and I found that the 5th was just way to long that way and I was essentially just flying the kite as a 4 line kite, thus losing the extended range and stablizing benefits if the 5th. anyone else have any ideas?

-Jeff

whitecap
Regular
Regular

Post by whitecap » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:05 pm

Well, I hope to get around to working on that.....maybe there are ideas in the north setup....If the 5th line went to a ring outside of the chicken loop ring, you should be able to dial in the tension....

Then, connect a handle pass leash to the ring. Let go the bar, and you are riding on the 5th line. Of course, you would need to set up a stopper on the 5th line. The goal is to have the 5th line properly tensioned, but be able to dump the bar, and hang off of the 5th line.

bob

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:40 am

Jeff,
Based on our experience supporting the West Coast, East Coast and some overseas markets, for an intermediate + rider level, aprx. 175lbs weight, riding in conditions from 13mph to 33mph I will suggest the 10m-13m-16m quiver on the Type ZH model.
The 8m is designed to handle high winds with great stability with a sweet spot of aprx. 32-35mph. We have been testing the 8m lately and it is a fun kite looping kite with steady pull and very predictable handling.

Regarding the trimming and setting up of the safety by hooking it to the 5th line we are currently testing a few different options.
The safety leash that comes with the package, when directly connected to the 5th line it becomes too long, thus the 5th is actually not activated properly, which makes the kite fly as a 4 line kite.
We are working on a shorter version of the safety leash that brings the right length to the 5th line, and is connected to the ring on the chicken loop as "whitecap" mentioned. This is also where the suiside leash attaches.

I will keep you posted on the progress.

Evan - Live2KITE
8)

Live2KITE
Regular
Regular

Post by Live2KITE » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:04 am

Previous post went out as Guest - Sorry for that.
Evan
#-o

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:53 pm

Evan,

Good thing you signed in. We want info from someone credible, not just any old Guest. \:D/

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:47 pm

Are you guys talking about the ZH manual in the RRD site or is it something else?