Can I Mix Bar and Lines

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
daniel_huertas
Joey
Joey
Can I Mix Bar and Lines

Post by daniel_huertas » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:19 am

I have a 2003 12M Cabrinha Access, my lines are old and streatched. Can I fly this kite with the bar and lines from my 9M Slingshot Fuel?

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:14 am

You probably can, unless one or the other of the kites, or the bar, has some sort of added features that don't work with the other kite.

If the bar from your smaller kite is really small, you might notice your 12M turns slower when you use the smaller bar.

Windseeker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Windseeker » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:39 pm

Also make sure you move the stopper ball further down the safety line (away from the bar) so the distance is equal to the length of the 12M kite. If you keep it in the same location as set for the 9M's wingspan the kite will still be semi powered up if you use the saftey leash. That my friend can equal bad news for you!

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:50 pm

They are both right in the above replies. Also verify that you are using equal-length lines on both bars. With your sheeting strap all the way out and your pulled all the way in, you should be at or very close to even.

- Unless! as Paul mentioned, your bar is designed with unequal lines or has any features specific to that kite.

sflinux
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sflinux » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:00 pm

2003 access is a regular 4 line kite with no added features (though 2 line convertable)
2004-2001 slingshot fuels are 4 line kites with no added features (I assume 2005 are the same).
You can use a 4 line bar with any standard 4 line kite. If you have a stopper ball, Just be sure you set it for the biggest kite you will be flying for that bar.
You can use a big bar for small kites, though bigger bars turn kites faster. I prefer bigger bars no matter what size kite I'm flying, I like the responsiveness. Though I'm in the process of making a smaller bar with short lines for overpowered condtions.
It's easy to customize a bar by swapping lines, sheeting systems, etc from one bar to another to make a custom bar. Then later you can use the spare parts to make another bar down the road.
-bric