Pt. Emery/Racetrack = hmmmm

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
nbon
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by nbon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:58 am

Been riding reliably upwind for a while now and have been sorely tempted by these sites that are much closer to my house in Berkeley. Though I'm confident going upwind I have had to self rescue a couple of times in the past season when my lines/kite got messed up on a crash. That kind of freaks me out when I look at where one might end up self-rescuing at these sites. Racetrack has a nasty broken down pier to the south and both have large stretches of rocky shoreline. Not very reassuring if I had to self rescue in big chop.

I've researched what is on BAK regarding these places....seems like kind of a high wire act. Is the methodology just don't f**k up??
Last edited by nbon on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

perukite
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Pt. Emery/Racetrack = hmmmm

Post by perukite » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:24 am

You ideally want to aim at not f*#@&ing up, but it can't always be avoided. So these sites with super rocky shorelines and small launch areas it's a good precaution to wear a helmet. Also if you self resuce into the rocks, try to avoid civilians, and by doing so you may sacrifice your kite to be ground up in the rocks. No big deal, just buy another cheap stolen one off craigslist.

Nothing will help you hone your skils better than a bunch of jagged rocks downwind. But don;t go out and do it until you know you are ready, being self reliant is a very good thing in general.

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:02 am

Given this time of year id try the race track frist, and you have to get upwind of broken down pier to get tangled up init so just dont get right upwind of it?

i feel its alot ez er to nazagate the track then pt JoLLy

amir
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by amir » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:48 am

I agree racetrack is better to try first this time of year.

Typically I only do tricks close to shore if I know I'll land it. If I try new stuff I usually do it well upwind of any hazards onshore. That way if I do need to self-rescue I have plenty of room to navigate back to beach. At the racetrack I feel most comfortable near the end of the bulb, with the beach directly downwind, which can vary depending on the wind direction.

Race track can be tricky getting upwind because it requires short tacking until you pass the pier. So if you are not nailing 100% of your transitions, it may be difficult.

spvone
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by spvone » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:04 pm

racetrack for sure.

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:33 pm

+1 vote for the racetrack over Pt. Emery (end of Ashby Ave.). There's a big discussion and diagram (mine) about the hazards of that launch here:

https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/for ... f=1&t=8810

Kirk out

wimboweb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by wimboweb » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:06 am

Racetrack... for all the good reasons stated above.

amir
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by amir » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:20 am

Additional discussion viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9875. That thread started with a by-standard landing a kite. As with all east bay spots, self-launch/land skills are required.

robert-g
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by robert-g » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:36 pm

When you venture out to new sites, listen to the locals that ride there with alot of regularity. Especially when they tell you your are doing something wrong. Don't came back with attitude and say everyone does it!!!!
Don't be whiny little b€£ch when some one tries to tell you the proper way to set up.
You know who you are!!
I have never been to a local kite beach were is ok to rig in you street clothes.

androka
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by androka » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:39 am

Racetrack: rig big, better to have wind to go upwind. body drag to SW to get some space for your first reach across the beach. If you hit the waves and dump, stop, walk your kite back to south side of beach. Civilians (and tiny ones) are at the North side and have no idea about kiting. Use a leash to self launch and land.

Also body dragging into deep water is a good way to get rid of the pitbulls that are biting your crotch...

Kited Stevenson this week. You stand on rocks next to the river with your kite on a hill at about 60 degrees. Some guy throws your kite into a gust. If you haven't broken your legs on the rocks or had your kite drift into the blackberries, you go kiting. woohoo!