The scene at the deltaÖ..(Sherman island)..

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
the northcountry
The scene at the deltaÖ..(Sherman island)..

Post by the northcountry » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:44 pm

How zit?? Iím a int/adv safety minded rider, That doesnít need to send it for the crowd. Iím planning on camping out for a few days and ride some wind? My question is what is the seen like???... .lots of egos?? bros pushing it Handel pass shit or a bunch of old windsurf converts donking along? ??? Is the camping area ok? Any night life close? What is a busy weekday like (20-30 kites?) Weekend? Is their a good downwinder that you can put your thumb out for a ride back up to the launching area?
Friendly? Agro?

Thanks for any insight!

East coast fresh water wind hound

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:19 am

I will try to answer your questions. Maybe ollie or someone else can chime in also.

Keep in mind I am a beginner but I have been to sherman a number of times.

I'd say the ego thing isn't that bad. There are always a few in the bunch you know that. I think being safe and curtious goes a long way here.

I don't see many people doing handle passes but yeah there are the windsurf converts. You have to remember this was their launch way before kites came into the picture.

As far a camping? do you mean tent camping or in a moho? Most everyone are in moho or sleep in back of a truck etc. there are a few tents in the park between the parking lot and the launch area. I see more tents like mile down the road at the "powerlines". As far as night life you will find some partiers in the parking lot but if you are looking for some love in da club I would say the city is your best bet (45 minutes?)
A busy weekday is like 8-12 kites. that is a busy weekday. a weekend yes will have like 20-30 kites. I counted 30 kites during a recent slingshot demo day (there is a picture in the pictures section i think)
For a down winder call Nat lincoln at 617-686-0636 He'll charge you like $10-15 for a 2 or 3 mile downwinder. You end up back at the lauch area. i.e. he takes you upwind.

I prefer friendly.

oh and i'll beat ollie to it. read the low down on Sherman in the locations section of the web site. Lots of good info there.

Blair

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:01 am

Friendly, safe and fun. Night life? Only in the parking lot. No tents allowed actually, but you can hide one in the bushes and get away with it. Warm temps (usually), steady wind, flat water and/or swells depending on the tide. Weekdays are mellow, weekends are a zoo. Riding skills from beginner to expert, mild attitude issues compared to some other Cali sites.

Bring beer and offer it to the locals. Look for the blue Saab 9-3 for distribution/consumption purposes.
Go bigga'

the northcountry

Post by the northcountry » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:55 am

Thanks for your insightÖ..seems friendlier already! Iíll be low key during the week and I prob try sneaking a tent up as the truck will get crampedÖ is their a state park with showers and the like close? . As fro the adult beverages I will no doubt return the favor of a beers gained at my local sight and happy Iím to share the joy! What s the local favorite? Iím looking forward to a Seria Nevada Ö. Iím bringing my spring 3/2 full as my one suit (the coast w/ a hood) will this be to hot? How is the water? Clean? Need booties? Thanks for the local tip on the downwinders.
Im 185lb bringing 17,11,9......should I bring my 7?

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:12 pm

There are restrooms there, but most people use solar showers (or moho showers) but you could go to Brannan Island State Park if necessary.

Sierra Nevada is fine, too, but not for bathing with.

We're riding in boardshorts and rash guards this time of year-- you only need rubber for early morning or evening at Sherman or elsewhere in the Bay Area. The coast still has water temps in the 50's if you're going farther west.
Go bigga'

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:37 pm

There's a big gap there between your kites with the 17 being the next largest up from the 11. You will need a 13 or 14 if you can manage to bring one. As mentioned, a shorty or shorts and rash guard is fine for Sherman, but if you plan any Bay kiting you'll need the shorty and/or a full 3/2.

Today was great kiting there, likely still is too! Dimitri Marimendes was showing his very smooth, fluid style there today throwing some really nice moves for the cameras for an upcoming mag feature. I don't think the cameras got much of me. :) Maybe later in the week?

the northcountry

Post by the northcountry » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:06 pm

YeaÖits so true (17.3-11.5 gap)I though I could hold the upper end range of the 17 but itís a lot a drag and the 11.5 is just getting goingÖbut if I fly it fast and stay moving I can get by if the lulls are not to bad , always like the idea of a 3 kite quiver Ö my next thought have been 15 , 9, and something largeÖalong with a 7 for snow and the occasional huge blow on water?

Iíve seen Dirmertie going off down in Waves N.CÖ. his blind riding is great inspiration

Thanks for all your help! If youíre ever in UNY (upstate) ñ this spot is the schnenizzlle sweet lick your lips freshwater with slick on one-side waves on the other ,all on sugar sand .....oh and a 30-pack of the local genny is $8.99 :lol:

:lol: http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image. ... 7&z=18&w=1

dewey
Old School
Old School

small kite = more fun at sherman

Post by dewey » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:46 pm

If you have a 7m I would bring that too. I have had to sit out a couple of days this season because my smallest kite is a 9m. Early morning it blows strong, then you will get a mid day fade, and it will ramp up in the afternoons. Make sure you talk to the locals before going out, the tide plays big at sherman. :D

dewey
Dewey

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:36 pm

I'd like to add to Dewey's statement about the tides. Either you work your butt off to stay upwind (flood) or you go upwind with your eyes closed (ebb).

Blair

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:51 pm

Unless you regularly do upwind transbay excursions on a flood. Then you can pretty much do what you want where you want.

Hope to see you all at the SI again this week!

Send it!

Ollie
8)