New to Kiting/area

Hook up with other kiters, share rides, or find a kite mentor & speed your progression.
Forum rules
Use "Group Notice" when posting/responding to notify interested kiters!
patterbj
Joey
Joey
New to Kiting/area

Post by patterbj » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:33 am

I just moved to Travis AFB in fairfield about 30 miles from SF and i'm trying to get over there some weekend to check out shops/spots. I just started kiting with my brother who works for cabrinha so i would be looking for kites/boards and what not through them. if y'all know what i should be looking for in a kite (size, model) for the location that would be awesome.

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Re: New to Kiting/area

Post by jwest21 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:51 am

Need a little info on your weight and where you'll be mostly riding for anyone to give specific sizes. Your closest spot is probably Sherman Island in the delta which can get pretty strong winds. Alameda, near Oakland, is a little further and the perfect place to learn, but you'll usually be riding a bigger kite there for the lighter winds.

Welcome to the area and to the sport.
Sold all my gear; ebbs and flows; see you next season.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:59 pm

If your brother works for cabrinha, why would you not ride cabrinha?

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:45 pm

I misread your question, it would depend on where you plan on riding and what type of riding. My guess is that you would want switchblade since you are more likely to go to Sherman.