Tarifa and Netherlands, Sept. 2011

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
buckidge
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Tarifa and Netherlands, Sept. 2011

Post by buckidge » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:10 pm

I'm heading to Amsterdam for a work conference the last week of August and taking some personal days afterwards giving me 8 days to 'play' in Europe afterwards. I'm flying out of Madrid. I've done the touristy things in a lot in Europe in the past so I'm gonna switch it up this time and stoke the flames of my new obsession - kiting... so on to Tarifa.

Anyway I wanted to know who's been there what info I should know...

I'm also wondering about the kite ban at Los Lances (til 9/15) will throw off my great plan. There's gotta be plenty of other good kiting there in early September, right?

Also, who has kited the Netherlands? Anyone been to both Tarifa and the Netherlands?
I could easily spend a few days of my personal time on the beaches of the Netherlands, but that means fewer days in Tarifa.

If you were in my shoes, would you split your time between both places?
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are built for"

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: Tarifa and Netherlands, Sept. 2011

Post by OliverG » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:21 pm

I don't know anything about Tarifa, other than it can be crowded, but looks warm and sunny.

The netherlands can be quite warm in the summer also, but it's hit or miss. I've driven around North Holland to the coastal beach communities and it's been 80 degrees with not a hint of wind. I've also been there, to Zandvoort, when it's maybe 50 degrees and so windy you can barely open the car door and kiting would only be for suicide. Hard to say what kind of conditions you may get, but plenty of kitespots and beaches. Driving is reasonable and you can expect a drive of anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours by car from AMS to the beaches.

We're going to be in Holland for 4 nights at the tail end of a Europe trip this summer and may stay a night or two on Texel, and there's kiteshops there. Maybe if it's windy, they will rent to us, who knows. Wide open beaches there though...

Looks like there can be some windy flat water too

super_monkey
Regular
Regular

Post by super_monkey » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:25 pm

Make sure to stop by Marbella while there. September is usually very windy and very crowded. People will literally land on you. Beach parties don't start until 3am.

super_monkey
Regular
Regular

Post by super_monkey » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:30 pm

Make sure to stop by Marbella while there. September is usually very windy and very crowded. People will literally land on you. Beach parties don't start until 3am.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:53 pm

My aunt was at the beach last week and sent me this pic - Holland windsurfers and kitesurfers.
Attachments
IMG_2775a.jpg
IMG_2775a.jpg (96.38KiB)Viewed 3480 times