Outer Banks - pointers?

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
perukite
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Outer Banks - pointers?

Post by perukite » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:13 am

I'm flying to Norfolk on Saturday, my brother has a huge house rented for all of us in Corolla for the entire week. Will be sort of a family reunion shindig.......but of course I'm bringing my kites!

I'm planning on just taking 2 kites in a duffel bag...which should I take ? 7 and 9 or 9 and 12??

Thinking about just renting a surfboard while there, rather than bringing a board

I realize that Corolla and up north there is kind of the McMansion hamptons of the Carolinas - and that the kiting is concentrated further south, from Jockey's Ridge and south.

Just asking if there was any insider bits of info anyone could share?

-Favorite riding place?
-Best spot that I can actually talk my wife to coming along to hang out with our toddler - while I kite. She hates standing around in strong wind....learned behavior I guess.

Thanks for any insights.

Clark

jowall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Outer Banks - pointers?

Post by jowall » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:35 am

Hey Perukite,

I've been several times and posted a follow up here, you can search here for it.

At least you know ahead of time that you're kinda far north. There may be some launches in Corolla or Duck, but I think the winds are generally lighter up there too. If the wind is SW (prevailing winds), a good spot will be the little State park behind Jockey's Ridge. Definitely take your family there, my wife loved it. The water & wind are both warm and the kids can wade out for a long way. No waves/undertow; perfect for toddlers; bring a floaty thing and you're golden.

Good call on ditching the board. Many kiters there came by car/van and will have 2 boards anyway and will hook you up. I bought a surfboard on craigslist and stashed it for the next trip. If you don't score, you can always run around & rent one.

Take the 12 for sure. On 7 vs 9, just depends on your optimism. I'd say 9. I did ride my 7 there one day out of 2 weeks.

If you get a hall pass, drive another 45 mins south to the Real slick, or from there another 45 mins to Buxton. Be sure to setup your myIK page w/those sensors & forecasts before you leave.

John

kitedancer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitedancer » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:13 pm

Hi Clark,

As mentioned by John I suggest the 9M and 12M, winds are light in the summer----it is also easy to rent/demo gear.

I have only kited locations on Hatteras Island----I think the best thing about Hatteras is that you can do long downwinders-either Ocean or Sound side (depending on wind direction). As far as family would enjoy, the ocean side beaches are nice.

Enjoy!
Lisa
F-One BANDIT 5M 7M 9M
Naish Alana TT

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:19 pm

check the forecast before you go. it's generally quite accurate. winds there are frontal. NOT THERMAL. In the bay area, we have thermal winds, so its windy almost every day. on the east coast, it's all frontal winds, so you gotta rely on storms.

in other words, if there's a storm brewing, it will be windy. if it's gonna be sunny and beautiful, it will be calm.

that will answer your questions about kite size and whether or not you should even bother bringing gear.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

perukite
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by perukite » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:28 pm

cool, thanks for sall your help folks.

jowall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor