New guy haveing problems.

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
rymonroe
Contributor
Contributor
New guy haveing problems.

Post by rymonroe » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:15 am

Ive been in the light wind of alameda the last couple of days and every time dive the kite down to get up on the board when I bring the kite back up, it stalls and just falls almost all the way to the water. Is this a skill problem or a tuneing problem.
I have the vegas05. Someone told me that after the first couple of flights you have to adjust something. I wish I could remember. :| Thanks for the help

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:23 am

Could be symptomatic of light winds. I'm not familiar witht he Vegas kites, but it's not uncommon to have problems finessing the kite in light winds while learning...

If there is anything to know about tuning the kites, ask the guys at KWS, they'll be happy to help.

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:42 am

plan on more then one sing
try three sings to get going in light wind ,also do not over sheet.
charlie

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:00 am

Sheet out a little bit more when bringing the kite up...... Also when bringing the kite up in light wind.... try and bring it further to the left and up rather than straight back up.. This will give you more power as the kite re-enters the more powerful part of the wind window... In strong winds, you do not need to bring the kite back as far to the left...

Let me know how this goes.

Andy

jstjohn3
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jstjohn3 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:20 pm

Sounds like you've had some flukey wind. The goal is to keep momentum in the kite and not allow it to stall out. The more time you spend on the water working at it, the more you'll find ways to adjust to different conditions. Keep At It and Have Fun!!

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:28 pm

I think I am watching you out my window right now.... Green and Orange Vegas? If this is you... you need to dive your kite more vertically through the power zone to get going... When doing your starting power stroke, dive the kite nearly straight down in the lighter winds... I can see that your kite is getting to the edge of the window before the bottom of the stroke... I did see you get a couple of good rides though.. Once going, be sure to continue with BIG strokes through the heart of the power zone when it is not all that windy. Also I just saw your kite fall into the water a couple of times from over-sheeting....

Keep practicing.

ANDY

rymonroe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rymonroe » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:08 pm

Thanks for all the help. I do have a green and orange vegas and I think the problem was that I was over-sheeting. I worked on it today and did alot better then yesterday. Thanks again for the advice.